Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

It takes over a month to swap an alternator?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It takes over a month to swap an alternator?!?!

I won't throw out the name of the shop where I took my 88 1100 when my alternator died. Bottom line is that it's been a month and I've gotten excuses like "the alternator is discontinued so I had to find one that would work" to "I had to pull the motor to get to it". It's still not fixed. I've lost almost all of my riding days for the year (since I live in WI) and am completely fed up. I'm planning on going to pick it up this weekend regardless of how many peices it's in so I can take it to a qualified mechanic. Is ther any truth to their problems with the repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Um... you pull the carbs and airbox out, it's right there under them. 3 bolts, it's out.

It's a 20 min job tops to get it out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, it's much appreciated. They quoted me $250 for a "rebuilt" alternator and the total has now gone over $700 with labor. Is this specific alternator something easy for any rebuild shop to do or should I try finding a new one? Knowing that I should have had it back in a week (and that's generous timing) makes for salt in the wound...

Comment

Originally posted by J4883rwocky View Post
        Thanks Krey, it's much appreciated. They quoted me $250 for a "rebuilt" alternator and the total has now gone over $700 with labor. Is this specific alternator something easy for any rebuild shop to do or should I try finding a new one? Knowing that I should have had it back in a week (and that's generous timing) makes for salt in the wound...

A quick comparison on ronayers.com shows that the alternator is essenstially the same for all pre kats and oil cooled bandits. 600, 750, 1100, 1200 cc engines. All "old" part numbers have been replaced with a new single unit.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I don't know you, but I can pretty much guarantee that you could have swapped out your alternator in your driveway with a Taiwan-made homeowners tool kit from Big Lots. Seriously. It's less involved than changing oil.

It must be hard to find one that will work, huh? I mean, they probably only made about 300,000 oil-cooled Suzuki's. Pretty f'n rare......
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well that is good news. I just got the quote of $884 for one of the last "new in box" alternators for the 1988 1100J. That brings their total to almost $1600. I won it in a poker game so I'll be damned if I'm putting in that much! Runs and rides fine (before this issue) except for an annoying engine noise. Was told by another mechanic that all 1100's from the late 80's sounded that way. Sounds slightly metal on metal to me, like a bolt that's loose or something. No performance issues, so dealing with it. I'll get her back on the road hopefully more sooner than later. Power windshield replacement will be next. Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Hey, I'm new here but just last month bought a '88 1100 knowing full well it had a charging problem. Just like loudnlow says simple in the driveway swap. What I inherited in my bike was someone monkeyed with it before me (why i got it so cheap i think). It had the wrong alt on it with a 30t drive gear and the 3 bolts were finger tight. I got a used alt for $50 and had to find out the hard way that at least my '88 takes a 28t drive gear. Luckily the guy I got the used alt from had several to choose from, swapped for the 28t and done. I tell this because when i did attempt to install the 30t alt there was some SERIOUS grinding/whirring noise. Also a perfect time to replace the 3 o-rings in the oil cooler line 'cause it's gotta come off too to remove the alt.
              Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Dude the are taking you for a ride. Id pick up the bike and run away as fast as i could

Comment

yeah it was probably running a few weeks ago and they just wanted a new toy to play with...either that or the really messed something up in that alternator change and haven't fixed it yet.

It's really quite easy to do and you could be driving a lot sooner than waiting for them to do it..

get an alternator off ebay and slap it in

Comment

It's a classic case of "This bike is old, the owner probably has no money, so we won't work on it." Typical shop move. Buy the alternator and do it yourself. Take you an evening of work.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      It's a classic case of "This bike is old, the owner probably has no money, so we won't work on it." Typical shop move. Buy the alternator and do it yourself. Take you an evening of work.
                      dont you just love it when people judge you on the "oldness" of your bike? Im not broke, just really cheap lol

Comment

The oldest bike I own is a 2005. I just know how shops work. Which is why I won't go to one.

Comment

i work at a shop. All we do is old outboards, nothing newer than 90's

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                            dont you just love it when people judge you on the "oldness" of your bike? Im not broke, just really cheap lol
                            I bought my 89 1100 Kat because I like the way they ride and the way they look... Money or cheapness had nothing to do with it.
                            1992 Suzuki Katana 1127

Comment

just go in there and say you want to see it...
                              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                              2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                              X