X

I just don't get it man!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't get it man!!

I'm so frustrated with this bike I cannot figure what the hell is going on with it!

A few weeks ago the bike was running great (It's a '96 600 btw) and I was running low on fuel. I was running late for work so I was going to fill up after work.

I left my house hopped on the freeway and got off my exit. Once at the light the bike stuttered and died. I upped the idle and got it going and the problem stayed all the way to work. I figured it was just starving for fuel but the problem persisted even after I filled up. After getting home I tore it apart.

After draining the carb bowls I noticed rust dust - so I think to myself "great I have a rusty tank."

During that week I cleaned the tank, tore apart the carb, cleaned every bit of it a couple times before throwing the whole thing in a sonicator a few times, check each nook and cranny thoroughly, gave it all a WD-40 bath then blew it all out with compressed air. After all that I greased needed parts, and bench synched it. It looked like a brand new carb! (And yes this also includes the jets, pilot screws, needles, ect.)

So I put it all back together thinking everything is going to work great! Changed vac/fuel lines and adjusted my screws 2 turns out (the first time) and guess what! It runs like sh!t! It still will not idle consistantly no matter what the hell I do to it. I've tried everything! Sometimes it looks like it's idling all right, until I pull the throttle.

When I gas it the rpms shoot way up then drop hard then it struggles to run. I've checked for leaks and there's nothing that I can find. The diaphrams work as they should, and no matter what I adjust I don't see any improvement except for the smell of it running rich, so I tune it w/ less fuel.

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

P.S.

Yeah I'm getting fuel, it's a new fuel cock. Remember the bike was running great until the rust.

OEM fuel lines? I once made the mistake of going into a dealership and they gave me some lines from the back of their shop that were like the ones you'd use on aquarium. Big mistake as they crimped far too easily. It caused me a lot of grief.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

No I picked them up from oreilys. They are pretty durable and braided (I had a hell of time getting them on. I made sure all of the lines are clear.

I wanna say too that the bike has k&n filters. I know people say that they put too much air in the that may be the problem but I have yet to have a problem related to the filters. I've had pproblems with everything else BUT the filters. The bike ran like new up until the week before last.

Comment

Until now.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It should be pretty obvious that you didn't get everything back together correctly. Pull the carbs, and check everything that makes them function: floats, slides, emulsion tubes, pilot and main jets, a/f screws, choke circuit, vacuum port orings....... EVERYTHING. Check the intake manifolds for leaks. Check your plugs and coils...... a plug not firing will really make it run like pizz, and will make the exhaust smell rich, too.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Haha shoulda seen that coming! Maybe I'll wrap some tape around it and cut some of the air. I don't have the original pod and don't wanna fork the money if i don't have to.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            It should be pretty obvious that you didn't get everything back together correctly. Pull the carbs, and check everything that makes them function: floats, slides, emulsion tubes, pilot and main jets, a/f screws, choke circuit, vacuum port orings....... EVERYTHING. Check the intake manifolds for leaks. Check your plugs and coils...... a plug not firing will really make it run like pizz, and will make the exhaust smell rich, too.
            I've done it so but it can't hurt to check again. Ill tell you after this I'm ditching carbbed bikes for good.
            Last edited by broel; 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by broel View Post
              I've done it so but it can't hurt to check again. Ill tell you after this I'm ditching carbbed bikes for good.
              I hate to be a jerk, but if you had done it correctly your bike would be running well again. Consider everything you touched in your project, and assume that could be the cause. Keep going through until you find the real problem. How did you set your floats, btw? They are touchy.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by broel View Post
                Ill tell you after this I'm ditching carbbed bikes for good.

You wont fork out $20 for something your bike needs to run correctly but you're going to get a much more expensive bike?

Interesting.

Did you replace the emulsion tubes?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You also mentioned that you did a bench sync on the carbs. Thats good enough to get the bike to start, but its gonna run like shiat untill you properly sync them
                  1990 GSXF 1100
                  2011 KLR 650

Comment

All great points.

I set the floats using a set of calipers but ill double check those are within spec still.

You're right I should just get the box. Ill pick one up from ebay. I haven't replaced the tubes since the bikes been in my possession and i doubt the previous owner did either.

Ill do what i can to do a real sync I would just rather not pay someone to do it for me. I don't have that kind of cash

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      You wont fork out $20 for something your bike needs to run correctly but you're going to get a much more expensive bike?
                      It's worth the peace of mind.

Comment

So you'll get fuel injection. That's a whole different system you can fail to understand.

Comment

Carb sync, ya gotta do it! Bench sync is to get it running well enough to do a real vacuum sync. The other thing you aren't realizing is that maybe things were wrong with the pods before....now that the carbs are clean and working properly, the bike doesn't like the pods anymore. Hard to say.

Anyway, moving to fuel injection is a whole nother bucket of fail, as it is even more complicated than carbs when your bike runs like ***. If ya can't handle carbs, ya can't handle fuel injection.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            Carb sync, ya gotta do it! Bench sync is to get it running well enough to do a real vacuum sync. The other thing you aren't realizing is that maybe things were wrong with the pods before....now that the carbs are clean and working properly, the bike doesn't like the pods anymore. Hard to say.

Anyway, moving to fuel injection is a whole nother bucket of fail, as it is even more complicated than carbs when your bike runs like ***. If ya can't handle carbs, ya can't handle fuel injection.
                            Yeah that's looking to be the problem. When I get to fixing it ill update you all and lrt you know whats up. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600
                              . If ya can't handle carbs, ya can't handle fuel injection.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X