X

Exhaust options for a Pre98?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust options for a Pre98?

I have the stock pipes for my Pre, but I've been wanting to update it a bit..
    I was thinking a yoshi pipe would rock, buuuut after thinking about it, I'd have to get 2 for the bike because of dual stock pipes...and I can't justify spending 700 bucks on exhaust when the bike only cost me a grand in the first place..

So, does anyone know of aftermarket options for some louder pipes?
    I'm way noobish on what aftermarket items are out there, and the local Suzuki dealer doesn't know his *** from his elbow so I thought I would ask here

Thanks!

Your best option is this:

Get an oil pan and oil pickup from a 98 -06 katana. After that is installed, any exhaust system for those years will fit your bike.

Really, it's going to be Ebay for your stuff for the most part IF you can find them at all.

Comment

get a friend that can weld I did a slip on leo vince pipe on my pre. Just made me own midpipe and slapped on a can looked much better than stock
      1992 katana 600 sold to Luke
      1993 katana 600 sold
      Bandit 1250 2007

Comment

Now just a dumb question...since I have a 600, I have to find another 600 right?
        Or can I use 750 parts as well?

Comment

Search
          Last edited by 1FSTKAT; 08-11-2011, 12:20 PM.
          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Originally posted by Katana91_750
            yeah... really? I know it gets annoying to answer the same questions but Search has about 3 more characters than No... just sayin....

If you would click the link, you would find that I was actually kind enough to do it for him.

Search also has 4 more characters than no. Keep trying buddy.
            Last edited by 1FSTKAT; 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM.
            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Thanks 1FSTKAT, but that link tells me absolutely nothing...I have no idea what it means - so a 'No' would have worked just fine.

I'm not a gearhead, so all the info posted at that link says 'Adsv v sssvsfvca gbfnthgv da dfv bgn g da" to me.

Thanks for the responses all

Comment

Just drill through it from the rear if you don't want to "search" the forum. I did all the searching got my answers, asked a few more questions, then just yesterday decided to drill through it without no fear. Cans sound a little better like there is an exhaust on it and not just engine noise when I am on the throttle.
                Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

Comment

Well that's the rub- I used the search function, looked around on the net, and looked around on the site - but unless you have a very good handle on motorcycles (which I definitely don't) you can't find good concise information. Since I'm not a "geardo" that knows bikes, and I just started riding/learning/figgering things out 2 months ago, then I'm WAY behind the curve.
                  Hell, it took me 2 weeks and the katana manual to figure out how to adjust the clutch on the bike...and I still haven't done it. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm decently mechanically inclined...but when it comes to stuff like this, I'll ask the dang question.
                  Sorry for anyone having to repeat themselves to the n00b inquiries, but we all have to start somewhere.
                  I, for one, appreciate the time and knowledge given on this site - so far it's made my bike a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Your best option is this:

Get an oil pan and oil pickup from a 98 -06 katana. After that is installed, any exhaust system for those years will fit your bike.

Really, it's going to be Ebay for your stuff for the most part IF you can find them at all.
                    This. Just listen to RedKat.

Comment

I did the same thing as mentioned in the first response. Though, you do have to replace the header bolts and fabricate an exhaust hanger as well, so keep that in mind. But yes, I would just get the oil pan, pickup and header from a post kat, and put on a post exhaust.
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I thought about designing a new exhaust system using my existing exhaust pipes to where it splits then route the single tubes on each side up under seat. Then I would design the muffler to fit under the seat, kinda like a Flow Master muffler style but slim and compact with a wide single exhaust tip coming out from under the tail light. Any thoughts? To aggressive?

Comment

Originally posted by deepsea View Post
                          I thought about designing a new exhaust system using my existing exhaust pipes to where it splits then route the single tubes on each side up under seat. Then I would design the muffler to fit under the seat, kinda like a Flow Master muffler style but slim and compact with a wide single exhaust tip coming out from under the tail light. Any thoughts? To aggressive?

You would need to work out the clearance issues between the tire and the stock katana tail. The stock setup has the tire clearance travel at max at about 1" from the maximum underside of the tail. This means that putting anything under the tail on a stock setup puts it in possible contact with the rear wheel. If the rear wheel can hit something, then you have potential for catastrophic failure.

Moving the distance of the max travel point away from the bottom of the tail will help to resolve that somewhat. A different shock setup with a shorter travel distance, or one that moves the travel range away from the tail for example is one option. The other is modify the tail to raise it up away from the travel range of the tire.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry, just a slight hijack…

I read the sticky, GREAT info, and easy to understand!
                            But, no mention of weight savings between the post 98 (750) 4>1 vs the the pre 4>2.

Anybody got a lb figure for that?
                            Thanks!
                            Bill

Comment

Thanks for the input on the exhaust. After reading your enjoyable article regarding the swing arm modification, I am certain you know what you talking about. The swing arm is awesome and would like to do the same for my 91 Kat.

Comment

Working...
                              X