X

Question about keys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about keys

Well i just picked up a project katana, and only got 1 key with it. That key works in the ignition and seat only, but not the gas cap. Is there a different key for the gas cap? If not, any ideas why it wont open? Any advise or suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited by six6six; 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM.

Should use the same key, if it doesnt it may be rusted if it has been sittin awhile, especially outside. Or the PO may have swapped it out an forgot to give you the tank key.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

my pre 600 uses 1 key for the ignition and 1 key for the gas tank/seat. they are factory keys so i assume it came that way.

my gas tank can be quite finicky about opening though, i'd suggest some graphite in the lock.

Comment

Ill have to pull off the cap tomorrow and see what i can do...

Comment

You may find it difficult to remove the cap with out the key.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Its the same key from the factory. If the keys don't match the odd component has been replaced.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              You may find it difficult to remove the cap with out the key.
              Your right, i though id be able to take out the whole cap assembly by removing the allen screws, haha

Comment

If im not mistaken I think u can prob take off the petcock and use a long screwdriver (or something) to try to jimmy the latch on the gas cap from the inside. And if that works u can take the gas cap in to a locksmith and get a key made for the lock.
                Last edited by Mopedmafia; 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I got my cap off with a long screwdriver. Had the allen screws out for a little more play. After it was out I played around and managed to pick the lock with a hacksaw blade
                  When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

nice

Comment

Hmm, ill have to give that a shot.

Comment

Once it was off I pulled the tumblers. Opens with anything that will fit in the slot but saved$ 150 on a lockset
                        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Have you tried spraying any lube inside the slot to loosen it up? Hard to imagine that lock went bad and you couldn't get the key. Anyone riding it around would almost certainly have the two together on a chain.
                          1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thainglo View Post
                            Have you tried spraying any lube inside the slot to loosen it up? Hard to imagine that lock went bad and you couldn't get the key. Anyone riding it around would almost certainly have the two together on a chain.
                            Its been soaking in PB blaster for a while now, bikes been sitting covered outside for 4 years...

Comment

Welp found a tiny rust hole in the bottom of the tank, which lead to me making many more large holes. Looks like the bottom of the gas cap is rusted out and no good too, sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X