No announcement yet.
X

Split Cam Chain or Mechanical adjuster?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Cam Chain or Mechanical adjuster?

Hey everyone, I am new here so I thought I would ask a couple questions to break the ice! I just bought a 2000 Katana 750 with 12,000 miles thinking it needed either lifters adjusted or cam chain adjustment. I was kind of right, the shop just told me the chain is "stretched". I dont want to do a complete tear down and replace the chain. So I was going to throw a few other ideas I am considering out there, please help.

1- using a split chain (does anyone know who sells one for it?)
    2- converting to mechanical cam adjuster (does anyone know who sells one of those for it?)
    3- splitting the original chain and take a link or two out then rejoin with master link!!

I have a feeling it was ridden way harder than I am going to ride it.

APE sells a manual cam chain adjuster...
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Just replace the CCT spring.

The chain itself isn't stretched.... the adjuster isn't doing it's job.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

any reason why not to use the APE manual? its supposed to be better do to the LACK of moving parts
        03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
        04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
        08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
        10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
        05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Right, except that you have to remember to manually adjust it.

If you are good at remembering to do things like that, go for it.

Also a new spring is cheaper than the manual CCT.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Get the APE unit, no reason not to.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yes reason not to. Too lazy to manually check tensioner, just replace the spring.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and info. I am looking into all options but does anyone know the part number of the APE manual adjuster? I have looked and only see them listed for GSXR's (part no: ST750Y2K) not the Katana's. Maybe they are the same? Thanks again!

Comment

look for one that fits a GSXR from the oil cooled years. It's the same part.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    Yes reason not to. Too lazy to manually check tensioner, just replace the spring.

Just wait till it starts clicking and tighten it down, thats what I do. Usually only once a season

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Katana's always click
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

As do Kwak's

Lol, I've gotten to where I can tell the difference in the valvetrain noise. Goes from the usual Kawi tick to a little louder version of the Kawi tick

Comment

Cam chain issue

OK guys, here is the update. I ordered a new tensioner spring and then the people working on the bike told me the adjuster was all the way out so a new spring would not help!?!?! Is that true? SO, then I bought the APE manual adjuster for the same year gsxr. ST750y2k and the shop just called me and said it will not bolt up the mouting holes do not line up!!!!

Frustration can anyone give me any other ideas to try.

Comment

I can't believe the factory cam chain is toast after 12,000 miles. There are guys on the board with 5X that mileage and more.

Comment

I know, that is what is killing me! Granted it looks like it was ridden pretty hard but still. If it were your bike, what would you try next??

Comment

Working...
                              X