X

Need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

I have a 2001 kat 600 and it was running rough, so I did the water test on pipes, and #4 was cold. I checked plugs and wires and had good spark. I pulled the carbs and followed carbs 102 step by step. The only thing I found wrong was the float needle on #4 was not attached to the float, I know that is a problem but would it cause the problem I was having. I dont know enough about carbs to know what each part does. Thanks for any help you can give.

Originally posted by Rambo2997 View Post
    I have a 2001 kat 600 and it was running rough, so I did the water test on pipes, and #4 was cold. I checked plugs and wires and had good spark. I pulled the carbs and followed carbs 102 step by step. The only thing I found wrong was the float needle on #4 was not attached to the float, I know that is a problem but would it cause the problem I was having. I dont know enough about carbs to know what each part does. Thanks for any help you can give.

The float needle is a stopper. It prevents fuel from flowing into the bowl once it's full. It does this in conjunction with the floats. The floats rise as the full level does, pushing the needle to seat and stop the fuel. When the fuel is used, they drop down with the needle, and allow for fuel to be replaced and re-fill the bowl.

Adjusting the floats is setting where that level in the bowl will be.

Fuel levels in the bowl will affect how the bike runs. Low levels lean out the air/fuel mixture, high levels richen the mixture. Needles not stopping the flow means it floods out that cylinder.

All in all... yes, that was probably your issue.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X