X

iGSX600f annoying Rubber stopper plugs in pilot jet tube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iGSX600f annoying Rubber stopper plugs in pilot jet tube

Do these jobbies actually have a purpose? Apart from falling out and getting lost. They don’t seem to be mentioned in the Haynes book of lies I have. Are they intended to be a tight fit and completely seal the tube (I think Special K suggested they should be a snug fit) or just sit held loosely by the float assembly and allow small amount of fuel to pass through, sort of like a valve or something? I did wonder if they were some kind emissions gizmo, all the carbs I’ve stripped before have just had the pilot jet tube open so is it possible to discard them.

Cheers Angus
    Last edited by Angus; 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM.

Short answer, yes, you need them. They're supposed to fit tight enough to keep themselves in place and block off any fuel flow past them. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thank you Wild Bill, yeah to junk them would be the easy answer but the bike is not on the road at present so not a problem to wait till I can get some replacements or may be I can get creative and make my own.

Cheers Angus

Comment

I (are you ready for this?) put some 6-32 (I think) stainless steel screws into the holes. This expanded the plug for a tight fit, I then cut the screws flush.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          I (are you ready for this?) put some 6-32 (I think) stainless steel screws into the holes. This expanded the plug for a tight fit, I then cut the screws flush.
          I can understand that move. I just bought new ones.

Comment

Most of the carbs I rebuild aren't mine so I'd never even consider trying something like that. Good idea in a pinch, though.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I know...I hate annoying rubbers that...oh, well...nevermind.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                I know...I hate annoying rubbers that...oh, well...nevermind.
                Don't have that problem any more dude. She got fixed.......... I was witness to that.

Comment

The screw idea is simular to what I was contemplating. rubber tube with a screw through the middle to expand it to a tight fit. big problem know is the fact that some gorilla has mashed two of the air screws in so tight they don't want to come out and they are starting to chew up. little wonder he was moaning about the bike running sick. any ideas? I was gonna try some localised heat and see if that works.

Cheers Angus

Comment

Good luck with them. Try soaking some oil in there and worst case, try center drilling and using an easy-out. If you have to do that try using a left-handed drill bit. I had a stuck A/F screw on a set of carbs I was working last summer for a customer. We ended up sending the carb to a machine shop where they promptly chewed up the threads in the carb body. We had to replace the carb body, it was so bad. Hopefully, yours will be a different story.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well the pilot tube caps now sorted with some rather fetching custom made yellow nylon ones I turned up. just hope my son don't realise he is missing a yellow nylon bolt for his crossbow. lol Just the air screws to sort now, looks like I'm gonna have to go down the easy out route.

Cheers Angus

Comment

Working...
                      X