X

Suspension / Front Forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension / Front Forks

I took my bike to the shop the other day to have the oil changed, etc. They told me that my suspension was turned all the way down and they turned it all the way up. They also said that my bike should have 10 settings but seems to only have 4 and could be from someone changing seals and not putting the forks back together properly.

Is doing something like this a difficult job? I would like to do it myself rather than pay the shop around $400 to do it. Any insight would be appreciated.

What bike? I'm fairly sure the Pre600 only has 4 settings.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The guys at that shop are reeeeeeeeeeeeetarded....... It should have 10 settings, but 6 of them went missing because somebody changed the seals wrong?! And the suspension setting you do have (rebound damping) is not like a "better handling" knob.... how would they know what setting you would prefer it at?
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

What came out of the dealers mouth....They told me that my "suspension was turned all the way down and they turned it all the way up." They also said that my "bike should have 10 settings but seems to only have 4 and could be from someone changing seals and not putting the forks back together properly."....What I heard them say...."We don't really know what we are doing. Please take your bike to someone more competent."

Comment

Wooooooooooooow...I would kill someone if they messed with my settings.

Hence why it only goes to a shop for tires.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ok so what could be going wrong then? There are the number 10 on each of the adjusters but there currently are only 4 adjustments.

For clarity it is a Post 600 (2006)

I am not sure what to do in this case I mean I don't want to tear the forks apart to find that was not the issue/cause.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to why there are only 4 settings and 6 missing?

I brought it to the shop because I heard a clunk and was not sure if it bottomed out or what the case. They told me that it was turned all the way down and after looking at the front wheel found no issues. That's why they turned it up because I was bottoming out.

A RETARD mistake on my part was taking it to the shop and paying $200 for an oil change and this diagnosis.
            Last edited by jcrawford; 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

In case you didn't notice the sarcasm, I don't think you are "missing" any settings.

The people at the shop you are using are either idiots, or want you to buy additional services from them.

I'm not familiar with the 98+ bikes though, but trying sending a PM to user Tmod to check out this thread. He's the guy with the answers.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the information. I fired off a PM to him explaining the problem and referencing this thread.

Comment

LOL some things are just plain funny.

There is nothing wrong with your suspension as they only have 4 clicks if you will on the fork rebound.

What they are referring to is if you had a gsxr and if you don't set the rod jam nut to where it should be you will end up with less adjustment range.

The rebound has a rotating block in the damping rod that closes 3 holes out of 4 for the rebound, That way you will only have one hole open at a time for the rebound circuit. I will be putting some images up of some stock damper rods and some modified ones and will post them here as well so you can see what I am talking about.

Tmod

Comment

Tmod,

Thanks for the information so as I understand it I am only supposed to have 4 settings. So what's with the number 10 next to the adjusters?

Thanks,
                    Joseph Crawford

Comment

A picture might help....
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Too be honest I never really looked at the adjuster and noticed a '10' on it. Will have to look and see.

If you are referring to the 'TENS' written on there that refers to the word tension which is a different way of saying rebound. It has nothing to do with the numbers of turns of adjustment.

Tmod
                        Last edited by Tmod; 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Tmod,

I dont have my bike at work with me today due to extreme rain but I will take a picture and post it later tonight.

It is not TENS but rather 10 so that is why I was confused.

Comment

TMod,

I am mistaken it does state TEN on the bars when I thought it was a 10. I am guessing the mechanic at the shop thought that meant TEN clicks lol.

Thanks for the information and now time to find a reputable shop to bring my bike to. Hearing something like this makes me uneasy that I even let them touch my bike.

Problem is there are 4 shops near me.... ALL OWNED BY THE SAME FAMILY!!!!

I have some work to do to find a good shop here

Comment

Working...
                            X