X

de-mothballing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de-mothballing

For various reasons, my Kat (2003 750) hasn't moved in well over a year, stuffed at the back of the garage under a tarp - and it was never even really winterized when it was put back there.

Well, life's a little better now, and it's time to dust her off, and I'm just wondering what I should do to make sure everything goes smoothly. Obviously, change the oil/filter, and flush the gas tank as well as I can. The battery was ruined, I've got a replacement coming in. Really, is there anything else?

Thanks!

Dump some seafoam or something in the tank, and get ready to have to clean the carbs.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i would check for rust in tank. also check brakes, fluid and hoses.

Comment

Mine didnt sit as long , but for about 8 months. Changed oil, battery, completely removed carbs and cleaned out jets and calibrated floats ( mine were really far off)! Put seafoam in tank like they said and seems to be coming up to the old faithful. I had to just go for a nice long ride as well to clear things out.

Comment

Make sure tires are aired up and not dry rotted. Dry rot is grounds for automatic replacement.
          Lube/adjust the chain.
          CHECK THE BRAKES OVER WELL AND THEN CHECK AGAIN. A brake failure can get you killed quick.
          Flush the brake fluid for both wheels.
          Check all brake hoses for cracking and swelling when applied. If they are or do, change them out. SS lines are better.
          Check fuel lines for cracking and/or leaks. Replace as needed.
          Check vac hoses for cracking/leaking. Replace as needed.
          Put bike on centerstand and check steering bearings for any roughness or looseness. Replace as needed.
          Check wheel bearings on centerstand for free rotation, should not have any 'rough' or 'catchy' spots. Replace as needed.
          Check all cables for free movement, lube them. Replace as needed.
          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Working...
          X