No announcement yet.
X

Rattle cans or Spraygun?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did half and half. Had the dealership where I work paint the yellow on my bike with auto grade stuff and I painted the fender and lower fairing with rattle can black.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird01 View Post
      one other thing im surprised that no one here mentioned...ive had many different rattle can clears not go on clear. they leave a subtle yellow hue to them many times.

that can be one f two things.

a) it's cheap clear

or

b) it is as I described above about the lack of volume coming from a spray can. if you are too far away from your work, the clear starts drying before it hits the surface. when particles of clear dry, they turn yellowish, or a milkyish color. then instead of "flowing", it sort of just piles up upon itself.

clear has to go on "wet".
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

be careful when painting, the clear coat i used didn't agree with the paint i used even though they like they would, and it just crinkled to **** had to re-do it all over.

Comment

i did my entire bike with rattle can.... you can see the pics here

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

it's all about the prep work/finishing... i would say that has to do with about 80% of how well your paint comes out... you also need to work on painting technique as well.

my best advice is to use something to practice on (an old chair, cardboard box, anything) just so you can get the feel for how the paint will lay before you start spraying your bike

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
          "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I did my bike w/ duplicolor and it is fine. All that is left is the tank, but I'm not too keen on paying for the urethane from a shop and still not 100% sure about the two part can. You can rattle can a good job (local mc mechanic was sure the kats didn't have a metallic black paint from the factory ) but following any paint instructions and sticking w/ one brand should get you good results. Besides, if you rattle can it, you can always change the color or touch up scratches that might come up.

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
              You can get a decent finish with a rattle can....the problem is that the paint itself is usually junk. That fantastic finish you got with a rattle can will look like crap the first time you overfill your gas tank and it strips all the clearcoat off. ask me how I know

Use a paint gun (they're like $15 at a harbor freight store), get some *decent* quality paint (even O' Riley's sells Nason base/clear paint for very reasonable prices) and you can get a finish that will last many years, and many gas spills. It's definately worth the money to do it right.

Holy cow, is there an echo in here? You beat me to it
              Yes Harbor Freight does have the paint guns that cheap but from my experience go for a gravity fed paint gun. I'm not sure if they sell those at Harbor Freight or not, if they do it will cost a little more money but is totally worth it!

Comment

all i know is i failed it hard and i'm upset about it lol i will try again now that its spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagg View Post
                  all i know is i failed it hard and i'm upset about it lol i will try again now that its spring.
                  DO the BC/CC and you won't look back.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

BB/CC = black coat and clear coat?

Comment

The Spray Max clear coat is an actual urethane based two part clear coat in a rattle can. It has a injector you activate when ready to spray, that releases activator into the clear. You then have so much time to spray it.

I told a local body shop guy about it last year. It hadn't really been around that long at the time. He actually ordered a few cases to sell.

Turns out every painter he had try it LOVES the stuff. He said several shops would PREFER to use the spray can on small spot repairs rather than their normal clear.

The issue comes down to cost.

If you DON'T own, or have access to a compressor to run a spray gun, then then using the Spray Max can make sense. IF you have a compressor and just need a spray gun, it might be close to the same cost to just buy a good detail HVLP gun and use normal clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagg View Post
                        BB/CC = black coat and clear coat?

Base coat/ clear coat
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I am currently rattle canning mine right now looks pretty sweet the done parts, next paint job i will try the spraygun. do like me and try both :P the rattle can looks very nice (just do light coats . . . i did 6 and liked the result, first 2 i still saw the paint underneath, i probably could do with a couple more coats)

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            DO the BC/CC and you won't look back.
                            Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                            The Spray Max clear coat is an actual urethane based two part clear coat in a rattle can. It has a injector you activate when ready to spray, that releases activator into the clear. You then have so much time to spray it.

I told a local body shop guy about it last year. It hadn't really been around that long at the time. He actually ordered a few cases to sell.

Turns out every painter he had try it LOVES the stuff. He said several shops would PREFER to use the spray can on small spot repairs rather than their normal clear.

The issue comes down to cost.

If you DON'T own, or have access to a compressor to run a spray gun, then then using the Spray Max can make sense. IF you have a compressor and just need a spray gun, it might be close to the same cost to just buy a good detail HVLP gun and use normal clear.

i have a compressor and a spray gun my father has it just have to go get it.

Comment

Working...
                            X