X

bandit 1200 swingarm swap??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandit 1200 swingarm swap??

i was wondering if i could get the specs on the spacers needed? is anyone running this set up with a 200 on a busa wheel?? if so can i see some pics?

You might start by reading through these swingarm swap threads:

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
    swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
    Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
    Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
    Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
    swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
    Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

By the way, welcome to the forum. You may want to start a thread and introduce yourself here:

Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
    Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by ratatunabob95 View Post
      i was wondering if i could get the specs on the spacers needed? is anyone running this set up with a 200 on a busa wheel?? if so can i see some pics?
      There are a few things to consider if your going to do this mod...

First thing that popped into my mind was the axle size for the bikes your asking about.... Bearings used on these bikes 2000 (picked a year to check by... )

32X58X13 for the busa...

20X47X14 for the bandit...

So, right off the Bandit swinger is going to pose an issue for using a busa wheel. You will have to widen the slots (if there is room) for the axle on the swinger, or find 20X58X13 bearings to fit in... and work out spacers. I would guess a 5.5" and 6" rim are going to be a little different in hub width as well.. so that may make things tight with the spacers and the stock axle width for the Bandit swinger. I don't know how much the aluminum swingers will flex... if at all.

Best I can tell from the micro fiche... the spacers for the bandit swinger pivot point are 18X25X???...

The Katana swinger bolt is a 16mm OD I believe...

So, if you did the 2 outer spacers as 16X25X??? what ever their length, and then mirror that for the center spacer you would be set.

But then, don't know the difference in total width off hand for the swinger pivot point... I think someone said the Kat has one of the widest pivot points, so I think the bandit may be smaller distance? Don't know, but if it is... you could just make up any difference with the 2 outter spacers having thicker shoulders I guess. Just split the distance between them to keep the swinger centered.

Ultimately though... what is your goal? Aluminum swinger, or do you just want to fit a Busa wheel on a Kat?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

mostly i just want the busa wheel it might just be easer to custom fab the old kat swinger to fit the busa wheel or even put the busa swinger in anyone ever done that? i tought about the jmc swap but thats a lot of cash that i could spend on other things.

Comment

mostly i just want the busa wheel it might just be easer to custom fab the old kat swinger to fit the busa wheel or even put the busa swinger in anyone ever done that? i tought about the jmc swap but thats a lot of cash that i could spend on other things.
          You would need custom adjusters to the 32mm axle for the busa wheel if you modded a Kat swinger, but it's certainly possible.

I just had a set of these made for a 28mm axle size out of solid billet aluminum.

This is how it looks mounted in...

If your interested, send me a PM and I can quote you a price for a post swinger modded and the adjusters. That way you have an idea of costs to compare by for your options.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah i know i deffinatly want thos adjusters too haha,, i got my exhaust today,, happy as hell
            sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
            www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              But then, don't know the difference in total width off hand for the swinger pivot point... I think someone said the Kat has one of the widest pivot points, so I think the bandit may be smaller distance? Don't know, but if it is... you could just make up any difference with the 2 outter spacers having thicker shoulders I guess. Just split the distance between them to keep the swinger centered.
              Krey
              The Bandit 1200 swingarm is narrower than the swingarm you sent my by 10mm across the pivot tube. Also it is about 20mm shorter from c/l axle pivot to beginning of axle slot.

Tmod

Comment

is that a stock kat swinger or was it widend? what did u use?

im going to go with a 92 gix 750 wheel just got a call back $200 for tne front end and rear wheel(no front wheel but i have 1)
                Last edited by ratatunabob95; 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

im going to go with a 92 gix 750 wheel just got a call back $200 for tne front end and rear wheel(no front wheel but i have 1)
                  I don't have it on my bike, Was just giving Krey some dimensions as I have a 1200 Bandit Swingarm here.

Tmod

Comment

That is a Modified Katana swingarm, from a post Kat.

You have a few options of pre-made chain adjusters for the 92 wheel... it's a 20mm axle.

I've made a few of them now. I have a pre-600 swinger mostly done to fit a 92 GSXR 600 wheel right now, and 2 more post swingers I'll be doing to fit that as well on their way to me.\

This is a pre 750 swinger I did as well... before/after.

Krey
                    Last edited by Kreylyn; 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM. Reason: added pic
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I'm curious - when you go to a larger wheel, don't you have chain alignment issues? Seems to me you would need to add some type of spacer on the front sprocket to properly align it to the rear sprocket... Is there even enough room on the front sprocket shaft to add a spacer?

I've thought about a wider wheel for my Kat but wasn't sure if it would cause other issues.
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                        I'm curious - when you go to a larger wheel, don't you have chain alignment issues? Seems to me you would need to add some type of spacer on the front sprocket to properly align it to the rear sprocket... Is there even enough room on the front sprocket shaft to add a spacer?

I've thought about a wider wheel for my Kat but wasn't sure if it would cause other issues.

That would depend on the wheel and how large you go. I had no issues with my 5.5 wheel.

If you did need to adjust, you have about 5mm clearance to space it out.

Krey
                        Last edited by Kreylyn; 12-09-2009, 11:13 AM.
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          That would depend on the wheel and how large you go. I had no issues with my 5.5 wheel.

If you did need to adjust, you have about 5mm clearance to space it out.

Krey
                          I wonder though...even though you didn't have any noticible problems, the alignment has to be off a bit with the larger wheel. The rear sprocket is certainly not in the same place in relation to the front sprocket as on a stock rim. Perhaps the only result is shortened chain life - which wouldn't be that bad, I guess. Just thinking out loud here...
                          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                            I wonder though...even though you didn't have any noticible problems, the alignment has to be off a bit with the larger wheel. The rear sprocket is certainly not in the same place in relation to the front sprocket as on a stock rim. Perhaps the only result is shortened chain life - which wouldn't be that bad, I guess. Just thinking out loud here...

I'm not sure what you mean by "noticible" problems... are you assuming I just slapped this all together, stepped back, cracked open a bud... bumped elbows with someone and said "Yeah.. looks good, that will work close enogh..."?

Lets try this again...

I modified the swinger, mounted it up... measured, tested... checked the alignment. It's in alignment using an early 90s GSXR wheel.

So you tell me.... Where the chain is between the inner fender, and the frame... is it out of whack?

I have over 7k miles on the vortex aluminum sprocket and RK chain, and have yet to need to adjust the chain and the sprocket shows no wear.... (parts put on new right after the wheel mod)...

I'm not getting the issue here I guess.

Care to share some specific information that would explain?

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

I installed an RF900 swingarm and a 5.5" rear rim on my old 95 GSXF and had no alignment issues either.

Comment

Working...
                              X