Stock cans are too quiet??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock cans are too quiet??

Ok, Wondering?
    My 92 Kat GSX 750F has the original exhaust cans on it. I would like know if there s a modification I can do ? i.e. drill out the bottom of the center baffle pipe to gain a few more decibels of sound? I am on a budget, Well, lets say I don't have a budget period. I see the center baffle is about 9 to 10 inches to the bottom of it, by drilling a hole thru the bottom of it will it sound like crap and what? I don't wish to hear a tinny crappy horrible noise. So, I am looking to the wise ones for guidance. I don't have any welding equipment, do have drill not sure whether I can find a drillbit to reach 10 inches. So, please take me to school people?

I only wish to hear the exhaust tone
    so as to improve my shifting and down shifting
    can't really hear it very well now.
    Thanks in advance to all!!!!
    Michaelbluewolf

Yep, you can mutilate the stock cans... the more you do, the louder they get.

It's kinda a sickly sounding loud, not a very good tone at all. My personal recomendation (having done this before) is not to modify the stock, but save your money, time, and ears by getting an aftermarket can or full exhaust on the bike.

You won't find that it's a sound your gonna like in the long run. Initially, it's gonna be louder and you'll go "woot"... then later your gonna start thinking "hrm... kinds sounds bad..."... and eventually you'll be posting about how to fix it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Yep, you can mutilate the stock cans... the more you do, the louder they get.

It's kinda a sickly sounding loud, not a very good tone at all. My personal recomendation (having done this before) is not to modify the stock, but save your money, time, and ears by getting an aftermarket can or full exhaust on the bike.

You won't find that it's a sound your gonna like in the long run. Initially, it's gonna be louder and you'll go "woot"... then later your gonna start thinking "hrm... kinds sounds bad..."... and eventually you'll be posting about how to fix it.

Krey

a lil patience and some saving will make you a much happier man in the end. A suggestion may be if there in decient shape clean them up and throw them on flea bay there just may be a Kat owner out there that wants to do a stock restore.
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Yup, Krey, exactly what happened to me

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Thanks to all who responded, I wasn't sure what could be done and whether I could drill a little and maybe achieve a little rumble. But that doesn't sound like the case. So what the best bang for the buck. I had a 82 Honda 750 super sport that I put a 4 into 1 kerker header on, and years ago I did the same to my Kawy Kz 1. I like the looks of the stainless steel dual cans. I and old school Hot Rodder racer. But I'm not going cut off the cans and hanging big block Flowmasters on it so down the road I'll look for more info from all the people here at KatRiders. Thanks to all.
          Michaelbluewolf

Comment

I have a Yoshi full system now. I guess I didn't entirely dislike the sound with holes, but I kept wanting more and more. If your not worried about resale of the stock system, give it a go. I just drilled 4 holes inbetween the inner pipe and outer at the end of each one. Then 8, then 12, etc, etc. Full systems are hard to come by nowadays though.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
              I have a Yoshi full system now. I guess I didn't entirely dislike the sound with holes, but I kept wanting more and more. If your not worried about resale of the stock system, give it a go. I just drilled 4 holes inbetween the inner pipe and outer at the end of each one. Then 8, then 12, etc, etc. Full systems are hard to come by nowadays though.
              Thanks for the info. I assume that the drill size was 3/8 or bigger, this is what I was wondering about. I don't wish to hear a tinny sound like 2 stroke or something like that. Maybe I'll try 2 holes vertically inline with the baffle pipe and see how it sounds. I know that if I can hear the the engine's song that I can better tell when to upshift and downshift, sounds crazy I know but the tach requires you to take your eyes off the view of whats going on around you. "old school I am"
              Michaelbluewolf
              I will keep the drill handy thou!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X