Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in motors

What were the differences in the KAT 750 and the GSXR750 motors
    pre 92 versions.

There's a katana 750 engine availible for 400buxs (high KMs unknown if running) and I'm wondering if I should just wait and get a GsxR motor instead.

search "engine swap"
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

funny the first thread that pertains to my question after that search is you posting to that person to also search engine swaps.

Now back to the question... what are the differences between a 91 katana 750 and a 91 GSXR 750. I'm lookin for answers to do with cam designs, power at what rpms, how much power can the blocks hold, and anything else that makes a katana a katana and a gsxr a gsxr. Some info about the gear boxes would be nice as well.

I'm not looking for info on how to swap one in or the differences in the bikes themselves. Just the goods on the motors.

sorry but the search function just doesn't work when I type all that in....

Comment

GSXR- More aggressive cams, tuned for high rpm use and strictly peak horsepower

GSXF- Mild cams, tuned for midrange torque and horsepower, not much consideration at all towards peak horsepower.

The GSXR engine is all about going fast, the Katana engine is about not having to work hard no matter the situation.

High RPM horsepower vs usable mid range torque.
        Track vs. street
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

3 numbers on the cylinder head, S1, S2 and S3. 2 bikes, the slingshot, gsxr and katana. If you are lucky like some of us, the slingshot or gsxr head is on there already.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
            3 numbers on the cylinder head, S1, S2 and S3. 2 bikes, the slingshot, gsxr and katana. If you are lucky like some of us, the slingshot or gsxr head is on there already.

where on the cylinder head would I find this?
            and there is 3#'s on the head or there is one of the s1-s2-s3 on there.

I should be hoping for the s1 or s2 right?

I'm in the process of either having my 600 completely rebuilt or trying to find a great motor to build or finding a motor thats worthy of just dropping in.

One last question.... If you wanted to put lots of highway kms on the motor would you get the GSXR or the Katana motor

Comment

Not to jack the thread but I found a website (cant seem to find it now) that would tell you what year your motor was by the first 4 digits of your engine number. My motor has R712 (I think, but dont quote me) meaning my motor is a 92, but its also said it could be an N, or M motor. Meaning R712N or R712M, whats the difference? Or am I just babbling? Wish I could find that website again.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeshow81 View Post
                One last question.... If you wanted to put lots of highway kms on the motor would you get the GSXR or the Katana motor
                Either will do as well as the other longevity wise. The Katana powerband is more suited for touring, but the GSXR would be more fun.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ok well then now I just gotta decide what is better. Buying a motor for cheap and rebuilding it or buying one that I can just drop in and use.

Is there a place that can get you crate motors?

Comment

Working...
                  X