X

Bake Help Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bake Help Please

i have a 1997 katana 600. im very very broke and need help changing my brakes. can some one help me by telling me step by step and what tools i need to do this. i would really appriciate it. i have the pads and alot of tools. it looks easy but i need some help so i dont kill myself while i ride home.lol thank you
    Last edited by bennyblanco; 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM. Reason: mis spelled title

I thought this thread was going to be about food
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

I don't know about a Katana as I have never replaced the brakes on one, but on my bike at least all you need is one allen wrench, pop out the pad pins, the pad clips, and then the pads. Should be easy as pie.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Your best bet is to do a search on the site, and download a copy of the service manual, which will outline everything required to service your brakes. Not difficult at all to do, takes a few minutes per caliper and a torque wrench to tighten the caliper bracket bolts.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Pre 98 brakes are easy. Pop the cover off the top. pull out the small cotter pins in the reating pins. Then slide one retaining pin out. Becareful of the clip that is over them. Then take the other one out and then put the new ones in. You will have to make you push the pads in like you would on a car. If not the pads will not fit back into place. Pretty easy job. Takes about 10-15 minutes do both sides.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

thanx

Comment

I wasn't going to be able to help with the baking but I was going to steal your recipe and "suggest" it to my grandmother... on Mother's day.

Comment

I got a question about my brakes, and if anyone wants to do some baking for me im okay with that too

-my rear tire is getting covered with brake dust in a matter of about an hour or two of riding and i barely use my rear brake but it doesn't feel like its dragging... idk what is going on :S? i have a pre kat.. anyone got any clues?

Comment

Originally posted by baker2011 View Post
                  I got a question about my brakes, and if anyone wants to do some baking for me im okay with that too

-my rear tire is getting covered with brake dust in a matter of about an hour or two of riding and i barely use my rear brake but it doesn't feel like its dragging... idk what is going on :S? i have a pre kat.. anyone got any clues?
                  I'm not saying anything about you, BUT, I have seen riders rest their foot on the rear brake. My father in law mounted his highway pegs on his cruiser and ended up resting his heel on the brake lever and smoking the rear pads. Just saying as a mechanic I have seen a lot of things happen that are customer oops, that have not been a mechanical problem at all.

have fun... my 2 cents

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                    takes a few minutes per caliper and a torque wrench to tighten the caliper bracket bolts.
                    torque the caliper bolts? havent done that in years...

Comment

Yeah , because if a brake caliper bolt backs out , it ain't like anything bad could happen ..... Also , loctite is nice .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Torque wrench - good! (grunt) Might be worth picking up an allen wrench socket set for the torque wrench. Good for pulling/replacing the valve cover, too. As with any brake job on any vehicle, you'll want a C-clamp, too. If you're tight on cash see if there's a Harbor Freight store in the area. (They do online sales, too.) Their tools aren't the greatest but they'll get you by until you can afford something better. I've got some tools I bought from them that are still going strong 10 years later.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Torque wrench - good! (grunt) Might be worth picking up an allen wrench socket set for the torque wrench. Good for pulling/replacing the valve cover, too. As with any brake job on any vehicle, you'll want a C-clamp, too. If you're tight on cash see if there's a Harbor Freight store in the area. (They do online sales, too.) Their tools aren't the greatest but they'll get you by until you can afford something better. I've got some tools I bought from them that are still going strong 10 years later.
                          +1 and i didn't read the thread(last post read first)

Harbor freight is great if you use the tools on an irregular basis, if you use your tools everyday you dont wanna be stingy, a good set of tools should last a lifetime.

Edit: Read

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                          I thought this thread was going to be about food
                          I was gonna offer a lighter to get things started.

Comment

Originally posted by ADyingBreed View Post
                            I was gonna offer a lighter to get things started.

That's what I'm talkin' about, I call neighbor.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                            X