X

Frame Replacement 05 frame to 01 bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Replacement 05 frame to 01 bike

I have had the bike for a little over a year now and for the most part it is mechanically sound; however, when looking at the rear end of the bike the wheel is "off center" and shows to be to one side as compared to where the fairing lines up. I believe the frame is bent and will be tearing it down sometime this week or next to find out for sure and then do a frame replacement.

There is a frame for sale on the forum here that is from an '05 600 and the guy believes it is straight. I was wondering if the frame from an '05 will be a direct fit for an '01 bike and parts? I will post up pics of it later. Also, does anyone know how to find out if the frame is bent or if it may be the swingarm or sub-frame (aside from tearing down the whole bike)?

The tail is different, but it can be done.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

no, the tail of the frame is not different, the fairings are different.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        no, the tail of the frame is not different, the fairings are different.
        That would make it different. I never said anything about the frame.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I had a dirt bike that the rear sub-frame was bent. The dealer chained the bike to the wall and connected a cable winch to it. He slowly pulled the sub-frame back straight. Could this be done to the rear sub-frame on a kat?

Comment

Wheel spacers in the correct spots?
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I apologize Steve. This member was in the CB asking about the FRAME. I though this post was to ask if the frame's were the same. I gotta read stuff.
              Originally posted by steves View Post
              That would make it different. I never said anything about the frame.
              This IS asking if the frame is the same WTF.

Comment

Well, I will find out for sure soon enough, I am going to buy the 05 frame and do the replacement!

Only thing I am wondering is about the title? From now on my bike will be considered an 05 right? (I would assume because that will be what the title says). Does anyone know how that works?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon2288 View Post
                  Well, I will find out for sure soon enough, I am going to buy the 05 frame and do the replacement!

Only thing I am wondering is about the title? From now on my bike will be considered an 05 right? (I would assume because that will be what the title says). Does anyone know how that works?

it should be concidered an 05 because the year is identified by the vin
                  may end up classed as a rebuild though depending on status of title, you will not be tranfering the title, you will be licencing a different bike
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                    it should be concidered an 05 because the year is identified by the vin
                    may end up classed as a rebuild though depending on status of title, you will not be tranfering the title, you will be licencing a different bike
                    The guy said that it is a clean title. Yeh, I figured I would be licensing a different bike all together since the frame/vin is matched to the title, I just wanted to confirm this with people that know more than me, thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon2288 View Post
                      The guy said that it is a clean title. Yeh, I figured I would be licensing a different bike all together since the frame/vin is matched to the title, I just wanted to confirm this with people that know more than me, thanks!!
                      I would not mention the swap thing when regestering it, that could cause some issues

Comment

Haha yeh I know what you mean......I definitely was not going to mention that. The miles are what worries me but since it is from an 05 and my bike was an 01, I should be safe on the mileage of the readout versus what is on the registration, if the registration is more, then I would have some explaining to do.

Comment

Tell them odometer broke , PO said it had "XXXXX"
                          You have since installed a used unit reading "XXXXX"

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                            Tell them odometer broke , PO said it had "XXXXX"
                            You have since installed a used unit reading "XXXXX"
                            LOL I am guessing this is not your first time dealing with such a matter?

I am definitely using that example if I have any trouble at all.

Comment

fast on my feet with a resonable explanation or comment
                              some call me a smart A$$
                              I say it just the product of having 7 brothers and sisters

Comment

Working...
                              X