X

Scrubbing wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrubbing wheels

My Kat has purple wheels....to match the purple windscreen, which used to match the purple seat (which has been recovered black woo hoo!) I'd like to get the paint off and show the factory color. I'm assuming paint thinner and some sort of scrub brush is necessary. Anyone ever done this before? I'd love to hear some methods, successful or failed or anything else I may need to pull this off.
    Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Aircraft stripper, a pack of steel wool, and about 6 hours or more of scrubbing.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Some of the Pre 600s came with factory purple wheels. Are you sure they have been painted over?

Paint stripper is the quick and easy way to remove old paint off of metals.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Strip 'em and polish 'em! Scotchbrite might be a little gentler on the wheels than steel wool.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Honestly I'm hoping they weren't made purple..........how would I find out if I did have the Barney curse on my wheels?
          Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

I bought a purple wheel to replace a messed-up one for another bike . Aircraft stripper and Duplicolor wheel paint made it all ok .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Unless aluminum comes in purple they are silver under the paint.
              Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
              Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

If they were painted over with rattlecan paint on top of a different color powdercoat, then paint thinner or acetone will remove the new paint and leave the powdercoat underneath if your careful. Apply a little to a rag, and rub off the old paint. Don't soak the wheel.

I honestly don't think it's been painted over though. I'm pretty sure that is the powdercoat color, and under that is just bare aluminum. Aircraft Stripper is one of the common names for paint stripper, and it works well. You can get it in aerosol or gel at most auto parts stores.

As has been mentioned, you can easily strip all paint off, and then repaint them yourself with wheel rattlecan paint, or M&R Powdercoats here on the board does them in PC for a great price, and that will last a long time.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had the dreaded purple wheels on my kat when I got it. Take a look in my garage at before and after pics.
                  Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by SGTJimbo_Kat600 View Post
                    I had the dreaded purple wheels on my kat when I got it. Take a look in my garage at before and after pics.
                    I love the blast from the past paint scheme. Although I also want to make mine look like a clown bike just to mess with people.

Comment

My pre has purple wheels. They looks sick with the bike all black haha
                      1992 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Yeah, mine's a little darker purple but that looks good Jimbo! Hopefully I'll have some similar before and afters soon.
                        Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                        X