X

2nd gear catches then slips with more thottle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear catches then slips with more thottle

MY 2ND GEAR CATCHES BUT WHEN I GIVE IT MORE GAS IT STALLS AND THE BIKE STARTS TO JERK AS IF IT THE GEAR GRABS AND THEN SLIPPS, I ONLY HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH 2ND GEAR 13456 WORKS GREAT. THIS IS MY FIRST BIKE AND I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
    I NEED HELP WITH 2ND GEAR, SLIPPING
    20.00%
    THE CHEAPEST WAY TO FIX IT
    40.00%
    WHAT COULD MAKE IT GO BAD
    40.00%

Sounds like the backside of your 2nd gear has worn down enough so that the gear it interlocks with (the dogs) slip out from the engagement cutouts. Happens to alot of Suzuki's and yes it's kind of a pain. Usually end up replacing 2nd, 3rd and 6th gear in the cluster to fix it. Have to split the cases to get to the transmission though. Thaz and I did it in a weekend on my old 750 GSXR so it can be done.
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Yup, your 2nd gear is cooked. Time to rebuild or swap in a new motor! Good luck to you!

Comment

Dude, that sucks! I have a little over 10k on my 05, and I hope mine does not do this sooner than later! Thinking of attacking the valves before the season starts, along with plugs.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Yeah man, definately sounds like your second gear is toast. If you venture and do it yourself it shouldnt take too long, like GixerKat said consider it a weekend job. I have dropped the motor out of my Kat many times, and I can do it all in about 1 hour. That being said it will probably take another couple of hours for you to split the cases. Just make sure you get all of the bolts/nuts that hold the cases together...don't quote me but I think there is 27 of them, including the crank bolts. Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
          1996 Suzuki Katana 750
          Gixxer 1100 (141.6hp at the wheel)
          '08 Hayabusa Front End Swap

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info, but is thier any easier way to get the engine out of the frame

Comment

yea I just got over 21k miles on mine, last night this happened once but thankfully not again I dunno, i defiantly dont have the money to fix or replace a messed up tranny
              sigpic

Comment

From what I understand, unless you have the mechanical know how and tools then it's something that you live with until you replace the bike because having a shop fix it will cost you more than the bike is worth.
                Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

This is where $500, a case of beer and a couple of really good buddies come in handy.
                  Like me and my wiring harness. I'm going to be sucking up to GixerKat and Jax big time in a few months.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                    This is where $500, a case of beer and a couple of really good buddies come in handy.
                    Like me and my wiring harness. I'm going to be sucking up to GixerKat and Jax big time in a few months.
                    I might be doing the same

I am already thinking that my clutch needs to be rebuilt but that at least I can do with the motor in the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
                      From what I understand, unless you have the mechanical know how and tools then it's something that you live with until you replace the bike because having a shop fix it will cost you more than the bike is worth.
                      Just consider it like a big set of lego's. with lots of parts.

Comment

An engine swap on with our bikes is not soo bad, there is not many electronics/harnesses, just if you do it yourself take photos as you go, tag and bag all parts and try to do it without much down time, dont take it apart and wait for the new/used engine, take out the old and drop in the new/used motor as close of a time frame as you can.

or......just rev up first and then double shift into 3rd

Comment

Working...
                        X