X

DIY or professional Paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY or professional Paint

So i need to get some color for my bike and i dont want to spend a lot of money obviously. is it better to just paint it myself? or is taking it to a body shop to have it professionally done better. im not looking for anything fancy, really just a color or two to add some character.

i've been shopping around and i've gotten a range from $700 - $2000 from various shops. these are just email estimates so i knew it would be a big range, i havent brought it anywhere yet.

there are small cracks in the fairings. so what exactly is the fairing made of, is it fiberglass, plastic or what?

any feedback would be great,

Thanks
    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Originally posted by labbatom90 View Post
    So i need to get some color for my bike and i dont want to spend a lot of money obviously. is it better to just paint it myself? or is taking it to a body shop to have it professionally done better. im not looking for anything fancy, really just a color or two to add some character.

i've been shopping around and i've gotten a range from $700 - $2000 from various shops. these are just email estimates so i knew it would be a big range, i havent brought it anywhere yet.

there are small cracks in the fairings. so what exactly is the fairing made of, is it fiberglass, plastic or what?

any feedback would be great,

Thanks
    ABS plastic. Check the paints section for lots of info on how to repair and paint them.

You can find places that will do it for as low as $500. Do it yourself for less... alot less. Rattle can (spray can) paint job can look good enough to get you by, and be less than $50 all told with repairs, sandpaper, paint, and odds and ends like tape if you wanted to get fancy and paint in designs.

But it's going to be work. Not a 30 min job for it to look right. It's the prep that makes the paint job look good mostly.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-09-2009, 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I am sure there are tons of shops in Cinci that you can check out. If you buy the paint first you can save a few buck and if you do the prep work yourself that will add up to some savings to, then just pay a shop to hit it for you.
      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

IF you want to invest the time then some spray paint looks GREAT.

Check out some related posts that I've posted in:
        Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
        -Banta

Comment

thanks guys,

still early, probably waiting till summer when i get home to actually get it done. so ill keep you updated.
          "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

-Banta

Comment

Those are some high quotes. I spent like 1400 to get mine done BUT it also included a matching helmet paint job: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93431&page=2
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

If i didn't have a crack in the fairing from the previous owner I would be doing mine myself. I'm pretty good with a rattlecan but I'm not a body work person. Luckily the shop I'm having paint it mainly does crazy custom paintjobs so their only charging me $500.
                Last edited by JTstyle; 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM. Reason: none
                02 Katana 600 R.I.P

Comment

No matter what you spend, when it comes to bike paint jobs, you definitely get what you pay for.
                  Let's go riding!

Comment

yeah, i think i have someone liked up,
                    im workin on photoshop to put something together that i like, and is relatively simple.
                    something that looks like this :
                    http://www.optimusprime.eu/Website%2...-tricolore.jpg
                    but with black instead of green, i might post some to see what people think haha, just to get an idea, i will pick what i want regardless, but its cool to hear opinions
                    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

If it were me, and time was not a factor, I'd take a shot at painting it myself. There's lots of great information out here on how to do so many things that it's usually just a matter of getting up enough courage to try it yourself.

I figure that as long as there is no chance for me to ruin the mechanical function of the motorcycle or my safety on the machine, I'm willing to try it myself.

i.e. I would never try to extend the swing arm myself because I have no welding experience (I'm pretty sure soldering doesn't count...) but I am willing to try making and painting my own solo cowl.

Besides,... what's the worst that could happen,...? You paint it yourself,... it looks like crap,... and then you take it to a professional painter. If you paint it and it looks great to you then you've saved a few $.
                      ROCP

Comment

+1 on that.

yeah thats why im designing and getting the idea so maybe it wont be as bad as i originally thought. and the guy is a fried of a friend of my family. so ill hopefully be getting a deal
                        "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X