No announcement yet.
X

The definitive Katana EFI swap thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the naked eye it would look the same. Speed density (the one with the MAP) and hybrid alpha-n both need a map sensor to run. To see which one it really is, unplug your TPS. If you can still ride the bike its probably SD. If not, or if theres no high end, its HAN.

The more I read about the hybrid setup the more excited I'm getting over this! It looks to be the answer to everything I'm having trouble with (high load and occasional idle stallout). Very excited, I'll start playing with it tomorrow even if it means no nap between class and work. I'll just sleep at work.
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

WOW. I just changed it to hybrid a-n mode, estimated a new tuning table (new table has a more triangular shape than the square SD table) and took it for a test run. It runs amazingly! I was expecting to make it around the block and no farther with the guesstimate tune but I actually was able to get about 10 miles without issue before I ended up back at the house. Got some high speed freeway pulls as well. It fixed the problem completely. Now twisting the throttle past the previous choke point just makes it pull harder and harder! Theres one flat spot that I noticed, so I need to reshape the table some.

If you look at the screenshots of the tuning part of the guide youll see the VE table. Now instead of the Y axis being KPA it's now TP. The reason it becomes essentially triangular is that at low RPM, 20% throttle will still fill the entire 600cc engine with air. So the left side of the table only has a few cells before airflow maxes out and all cells higher up the Y axis are identical. I guessed it pretty damn well it seems. Unfortunately it messed up my AFR target table by changing its Y axis to TP as well. So the resulting datalog shows it chasing phantom AFR targets. I just corrected the table and I'll be trying it out shortly.

I noticed with Alpha-N mode that everything on the bike just seems to work better. Smoother idle, very linear power delivery at high RPM, etc. Off idle throttle response is insane. Before if the bike got into one of its moods you'd have to slip the clutch very carefully or it stalled. Now it revs smoothly and powerfully right off the line.

I got 46MPG last tank, even with lots of 85MPH freeway riding and a good bit of redline pulls and power tuning. Maybe once I'm done I'll reach my original goal of 55-60MPG after all...

Comment

Good job!!

Comment

Thanks! Next mod is probably going to be an ignition advancer and possibly a regear. I really want to get a solid MPG figure first so I can see for sure if the ignition advancer will help or hurt mileage.

Comment

well done!

Awesome, I just might have to do this sometime, I like the smoothness of EFI.

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
            I got 46MPG last tank, even with lots of 85MPH freeway riding and a good bit of redline pulls and power tuning. Maybe once I'm done I'll reach my original goal of 55-60MPG after all...

Comment

For TheSteve

Hello,

Well due to unforeseen $1500 air-conditioner/furnace repair I have had to put my MS EFI Kat plans on hold until during the winter some time.

I was wondering for those who are going to try this if you could provide your current config files or such that could be loaded into MS so we get the results of your work? I assume there is some global config file and some map files that can be shared and loaded into any MS to get the same config?

I'll probably need to tweak it since I beleive you have a 600 and mine is a 750.

THanks, Jeff

Comment

I'll post up the config files and everything you need later today. The current tune is very good for cruising but theres a flat spot at full throttle somewhere around 5-6k rpm that will need to be fixed. For a 750, the tune should be pretty close unless you're running better cams. Start with my VE tables, but change your ReqFuel for the larger engine. Try 125% of my current value. That should get you running pretty well.

Later I'll post up:
                Current version of Megatune with MSnS-E support
                Latest MSnS-E firmware to burn onto the MS
                MegaLogViewer with a few of my own logs for reference
                My katana general config file
                And a pair of tune files for 600s and 750s. One will be pretty basic, the other will be with overrun settings, etc. Same one I'm running now.

Comment

That is some awesome home engineering, Mad Props

Comment

Alright, here goes:

Megatune (current as of todays date):

Includes MSnS-E firmware

MegaLogViewer:

Youll need Java to run it, if you dont have it installed already. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Added the files below.

Heres the sample datalog from one of my rides to work: Sample Katana Datalog.zip I apologize for the somewhat annoying process to download this one. I'll find a better way later.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by TheSteve; 09-19-2008, 02:03 AM. Reason: Adding files

Comment

• Not to thread jack, but I'm gonna toss this in here as most of my buyers would be in this thread as well. I've got a partially assembled Megasquirt II that I have to sell due to some Kat engine trouble. I gotta get the engine running again before I do the EFI swap...

See thread in "for sale"....

Last edited by philwecksr; 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM.
                      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                      -Robert Morrison

"
                      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

• Damn dude, that sucks. What happened? You selling the throttle bodies and all too or just the MS kit?

Comment

• Just the MS. I paid too much for the throttle bodies and will lose money on them if I try to sell them. If the MS doesn't sell it doesn't impact me significantly, would just make it a little easier. I'll be picking it up again in a month or two, but til then... Oh well...
                          None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                          -Robert Morrison

"
                          well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

• Well I took the EFI Kat on its first long ride yesterday. Went up through payson, az and back. The round trip was just over 200 miles. Overall, the Katana performed very well even with the altitude changes through the mountains. It did have 3 unprecedented stall-outs. A few notes:

I turned off the overrun fuel cut (injectors shut off completely under hard decel) before leaving, as thats been bothering me for some time now. With ITBs, a LARGE change of airflow occurs in just the first 1-2% of throttle opening. With the overrun cut I found that when I was just barely on the gas such as when engine braking but not completely closed throttle or riding in high gears at low speeds through slow traffic the overrun settings would cut in and out very rapidly causing the bike to buck back and forth harshly. This was at the minimum setting too, just 1% over fully closed throttle. So I turned it off and its fine.

The bike kept dying at random, each time it did I noticed the pump was making a funny noise. Pinching the fuel line revealed that there was ZERO pressure in the lines. The first time it died I thought the tank was negatively pressurized so I popped the gas cap off while riding and it immediately came back to life. The other times it happened I had to shut the bike off and wait 30 seconds or so and it would be back to normal. This all started yesterday, and never once did this before. Being fuel pressure it isn't the MS or any of that stuff, its either the pump or the fuel flow being blocked to the pump. I'll try changing the fuel filter and seeing if the issue clears up. If not, then I'll try relocating the filter after the pump. Maybe I'll do that anyway if I have enough fuel line. The tank was rusted when I got it. I cleared it out pretty well but maybe its finally stripped the rest of the crap off and its stuck in the filter, blocking the flow.

Thats about it. I've been getting a consistent 48MPG regardless of riding style with the majority of my rides being above 80MPH on the freeways with no fairings or windscreen. No other complaints about the EFI system since I got it configured correctly.

Comment

• Well I just changed the filter and rerouted the fuel lines. Sure enough, many large chunks of dirt shot out of the filter when I blew in it. It was some nasty ****, real bad. Even after that it was very restrictive to blow through. I put the new filter in AFTER the pump this time to make sure there was no starvation issues. The pump quieted down a ton, so it probably wasnt getting enough fuel in the first place. I'll have to verify the tune to make sure its still set right. If it truely wasnt getting enough fuel this whole time (and getting progressively worse as the filter clogged) then my tunes are now going to be WAY rich with the correct fuel pressure.

I rode around after finishing around midnight or so and the idle seemed nicer. I was being tailgated by 2 idiot cops the whole time so I wasn't able to take it above 45. I'll open it up tomorrow and see how she does.

Comment

• Hey Steve, Glad to hear your getting it finally all worked out. What'd you end up doing about the temp sender? Did you go through Cyberpoet and grab one for the oil pan or are you still using the one between the fins. Just was curious.
                                If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                                Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                                X