The definitive Katana EFI swap thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSteve
    replied
    Oh that cable is old news, I fixed that weeks ago. Weather is still great for riding

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    then that makes this a good possibility for someone to do!!

Get that cable taken care of and get back on the road!
    I know it is still nice in AZ! I have friends in phoenix!

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    All the software is free. I actually posted it earlier in this thread

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    what program does one use and is that $$$$$$

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Oh yeah, boring is the easiest to tune for. You wouldnt really even have to touch the VE tables, only the reqfuel value which has a built in displacement calculator

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    well like boring!

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Depends on what kind of power modding you do. Turbos, exhausts, K&N air filters, etc all pretty much will need to have a little more fuel dialed in than stock. Its about the same as carbs in what needs to be done tuning wise, but the difference is in HOW the tuning is done. By now you know that the K&N filter screws up the katana by making such a huge flat spot that it can't be tuned around. This is because the carbs only have a few different ways to adjust them. Different needles and main jets is about it. With EFI its infinitely adjustable, there is almost NOTHING you can do to your bike that you can't tune around with ease. Im not sure what would need to be done to match well with an ignition advancer, but I'd imagine its a slightly increased amount of fuel as well. Let the wideband be your guide and itll tell you exactly what needs to be done with near perfect accuracy. Even with a bone stock bike its possible to see an increase in power. These throttle bodies are much bigger and less restrictive than the carbs so you may see an increase in the high end from that. Depending on your carbs condition, restoring an ideal burn ratio could get you a boost as well. Unfortunately Ive never ridden a carbed Kat so I cant tell you if theres truely a power increase. Cant argue with the reliability and cold starts though.

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    That is by far less than I thought it would be, I like that! $500 makes it a well worth doing Modification

What tuning might you have to do if you want to squeeze more performance?

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    I think I'm in it for about $350-400 or so. Maybe a little more with all the experimenting with the GM igniter parts. The cost varies depending on if you can build the MS yourself, if you already have a wideband, etc. If you know what you're doing you can swing it for less than $500.

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    what kind of money is tied up in this mod?

Leave a comment:

• Newbie2it
    replied
    Sorry to hear of the misfortune on the cable.. But hey, Look for the positive side.. Sometimes sheit happens for a reason. Whatever that reason might be

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Sounds good. I had a change of plans and wasn't able to do it today. Hopped on the bike to head to work, and 30 feet from the house the clutch cable snapped. Pushed it home and ordered a new one from bikebandit. Hopefully it arrives soon, but at least this gives me plenty of time to do the ignition advancer.

Leave a comment:

• Newbie2it
    replied
    If you cut the heads off, remove the plate, then put vise grips on what remains sticking out.. Use some heat around the screws, Dont heat the screws themselves tho, you want the aluminum to expand differently than the steel screw, once its hot, you should be able to unscrew it very easily.

You could try with the plate in place, but it might make trying to heat it a PITA. Use a heat gun if possible, as opposed to a torch just due to the fact of the oil.

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Today if the bike will play nice I might try and make the DIY ignition advancer. I tried to pull the signal generator off the spare engine I have but the screws holding it in just wouldnt budge even after soaking in PB blaster overnight and trying to grab them with vice grips. Hopefully this one goes better.. Any tips on pulling this f'ing thing out?

Leave a comment:

• Theeun_Holy
    replied
    EFI is so smooth, I am planning on doing this sometime time soon as well, will try I'll keep everyone updated with the details when I do.

Thanks again for posting the whole process!
    you pioneered a path through the wild woods of carb-efi conversion!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X