The definitive Katana EFI swap thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005kat
    replied
    Hey man i have been following this build from the beginning and I decided to convert my 2005 kat. I got a set of 2003 gsxr 1000 but from reading I don't think that they will fit on my 600 kat so i think that I am going to swap the motor out for a bandit 1200 motor when tax time hits. I will have the the fuel pump and fuel reg. with in a week or so all i need to do is get the MS unit i was wondering if i could PM you for the latest tunes to help me along when I start this conversions.

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    If you look hard enough you can find something cheap. I paid less than $50 for mine, but I've yet to find another set that cheap. Check GSXR forums. The secondary butterflies are motorized and fail very often on them rendering the entire set useless to GSXR guys because Suzuki doesn't sell the butterfly motor separately. For you and I it doesn't matter since that junk gets removed anyway. But its worthless to them so you may find them cheap there.

Leave a comment:

• arsenic
    replied
    make me an offer, I'll take them off ebay and sell them to you directly.

Leave a comment:

• ericej2344
    replied
    Anywhere to get the throttle bodies from other than ebay. Just wanting to find the best possible deal

Leave a comment:

• arsenic
    replied
    for anyone interested in doing this:

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Everything should be the exact same except for tuning. The 1200 would probably be easier to fit the throttle bodies into due to the larger carbs. But the install should be identical between all of these oil cooled motors.

Leave a comment:

• il_ragazzo
    replied
    great thread! but im not willing to put that much effort into a 600cc. but i am willing to put thatmuch effort into a B12 or 1127 motor . so i guess my question is do u think this would be roughly the same mod to a bigger motor? possible problems?

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Yeah, Ive got one in my 84 Toyota truck and I'm working on another install on a Nissan 240sx. What are you having troubles with? Idle, cold start, cruising, etc? Got a wideband? Give me as many details as you can. Lets take this to PM so it doesn't clutter the rest of the thread.

Leave a comment:

• cpark_12
    replied
    steve, do you have megasquirt in your car? i have one in my 96 probe and i cant get it tuned right for anything.

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Awesome dude, I cant wait to see how yours comes out! I could only post the tunes here on katriders as a zip because of limitations on attachment types. Let me know your email address and I can send you the latest stuff. Last week I added some additional cold start stuff so now even in relatively cold weather the bike is rideable without hesitation without a warmup period. All of this is in the tune Ill send you but the one posted earlier is pretty basic. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, I'm all ears

Leave a comment:

• ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE
    replied
    you have inspired me to got buy the ms, unassembled of course. so if i start to bug you frequently please dont mind it.....my 750 is going to be a spare bike next year, so its a perfect canidate. my drag bike is near done minus some paint and finding out why the cluch wont disengage, so winter is coming....and when my *** deceides to stop riding to work in flurries and 15*f weather, ill start buying the rest of the parts list and tearing into it

can you post your tune in a non-zip format maybe exe
    Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 11-19-2008, 05:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Actually I have thought about putting together a kit of sorts. Im not sure itd really be feasible though. While the cost of the parts isn't too bad, labor in assembling the MS unit and wiring harness would be a bit of a hassle. Also theres the issue of things like the throttle cable mounting and where to put the ecu and fuel pump. Almost every install is going to be a little different making it near impossible to make a one size fits all package that would leave everyone satisfied. To actually market this as a kit Id have to make and sell custom throttle cable brackets for a 100% bolt in ordeal as well as measuring wire lengths on every CC and generation of kat. I would probably also have to include the 750s intake boots for people who dont want to bore out the stock 600 boots. The list goes on, but unless I did this full time I don't think I could make a kit of satisfactory quality at a price people could afford. Between searching for parts and building the ms and wiring I'd probably have to charge more than people would pay just to break even. So for now at least, I'll just have the parts list posted along with a few different tunes. Everything is comercially available already, very little had to be built by me for this to work. If more had to be hand made I'd consider it, but with everything available elsewhere theres not much of a market in such a low volume package.

That being said, I can always be PMed to get the absolute latest tune. Thats probably the most valuable thing I have to offer other than the installation tips here.

Leave a comment:

• ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE
    replied
    your time and labor is a big asset to us, especially to us who have the turbo idea plumb'd in are heads. ever think about putting together an efi kit for us kat owner (bolt-on and tune away)

great job truely a 2 thumbs up

Leave a comment:

• TheSteve
    replied
    Yeah, it's still like 80 degrees today. At night the lowest it'll get is about 40 or so. Chilly, but still not at all bad considering the time of year. Haven't even put the thermal liner in my jacket yet lol.

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
    Oh that cable is old news, I fixed that weeks ago. Weather is still great for riding
    Isn't it for the most part, when I was there, this is the best time of year to ride in AZ.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X