No announcement yet.
X

Quick Help!!! Need advice on bar ends.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Help!!! Need advice on bar ends.

I cant get the bar ends off my kat to install the new grips. Nothing seems to work. Any advice?

I stuck this thread in here so it would generate a hopeful quick answer(s) for me. I'll move it to the bodyshop later on.

Thanks!!

Hopefully you haven't damaged the phillips heads too much. I always have good luck using a socket wrench with a larger size phillips bit. Once you crack it it'll come right out. As long as the head is still in good shape and you push in while turning, it should come out.
    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Nah, the threads aren't stripped..but its just so damn tight on there.

Thanks beek, Im giving it another try in a bit. U think maybe some lubricant around the screw might help the cause ?

Comment

The threads are about half inch inside the bar so I don't think lube will help...plus, I think it's locktited. Again, use the large phillips bit and a socket wrench to give you lots of torque, and push the bit into the screw head while turning to avoid damaging the phillips head on the screw...and once you get it out, find an metric allen bolt to replace the stupid phillips.
        Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

matt go to a wal*mar or any were that sells pennetrating oil or how ever you spell it and get this stuff called PB blaser ..its the best stuff it has a yellow cap and its a white can trust me it saved my when i was working on my blazer ..its good stuff

Comment

got the bar ends off finally.. just took a few extra whacks with the hammer on the end of the screw driver. yeah, they were locktight'd on there for sure

now to get the old grips off...

Comment

Take a small screwdriver and slide it under the grips, pry up a little bit and spray some WD-40 under the grips and they should slide right off. Course, if you don't want to save the grips, just cut them off
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I dont think I'd need them anymore after this, so cutting might be the easiest way.

does the hair gel or hairspray work well to hold them in place once they are set, so they dont slide around me when riding?

Comment

ok, got both the new grips on , and the levers..

thanks for the help everyone. =D>

Comment

You know , an impact driver probably would've been a good thing to try . They're designed to break loose those stubborn bolts , and they cost less than $20 . I'm just sayin' .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay, I am a little late, I used an impact driver, with a #3 Phillips bit.

A fun side note. The Phillips screw was developed at the request of the newly emerging mass production automobile manufacturers around the turn of the century. The screw driver is designed to slip out of the screw head to prevent over-torqueing. Of course the design of the screw head itself leads to the frustration most of us find when trying to remove, or fully tighten one.
                      AMA member # 224227

Comment

an impact driver would have been ideal.. as would a freekin sledge hammer!!

Comment

I usually use the wife's hair spray!
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

where's the pics?
                            rock
                            always working on mods

Comment

Ok....I know, I know...I should've looked at this earlier.....but I stripped my freakin' phillips head...WHAT CAN I DO????

Please help me...

Comment

Working...
                              X