Bandit 600 swingarm conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit 600 swingarm conversion

Hi everyone,

I've been digging through the topics last week in order to find more information on swing arm conversions for the pre-kats. Nearly all I could find were topics where either the stock swing would be modified to fit a wider wheel or people trying to fit a bandit 1200/busa swing arm for 5.5" wheels.

Searching through google for a bit got me to a gixxer forum, where someone asked a similar question. There someone replied, saying that a Bandit 600 Mk1 swing arm would be almost completely bolt on.

If this is true, it would allow me to run a 150/160 rear, just like my bandit. Has anyone ever tried going with a GSF600 Mk1 swing and wheel?

Originally posted by Stealthspyder View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been digging through the topics last week in order to find more information on swing arm conversions for the pre-kats. Nearly all I could find were topics where either the stock swing would be modified to fit a wider wheel or people trying to fit a bandit 1200/busa swing arm for 5.5" wheels.

Searching through google for a bit got me to a gixxer forum, where someone asked a similar question. There someone replied, saying that a Bandit 600 Mk1 swing arm would be almost completely bolt on.

If this is true, it would allow me to run a 150/160 rear, just like my bandit. Has anyone ever tried going with a GSF600 Mk1 swing and wheel?
    Its not a bolt on mod both the 6 and 12 have a larger swingarm bolt so youŽll need top hat spacers to sleeve down for kat bolt
    Doing this mod now but was using a gsxr swingarm have now borrowed a bandit 6 arm not to use but to try follow this in my build topic kitty kat teapot in the project section may have more info in a week or two

Also are you a member of the bandit forum

Comment

Originally posted by alpine View Post
      Its not a bolt on mod both the 6 and 12 have a larger swingarm bolt so youŽll need top hat spacers to sleeve down for kat bolt
      Doing this mod now but was using a gsxr swingarm have now borrowed a bandit 6 arm not to use but to try follow this in my build topic kitty kat teapot in the project section may have more info in a week or two

Also are you a member of the bandit forum
      Will follow, might be helpful

And yes, I am member of the bandit forum. Not the same name though, it's "Demetrius" over there.

Comment

Will follow, might be helpful

And yes, I am member of the bandit forum. Not the same name though, it's "Demetrius" over there.
        I use same name on there
        And the build is also in the project section there

The bandit forum is down right now sever upgrade all for bettering the site but being down for almost a week is a bit of a joke

As for the swingarm as said got a 6 for trying all spacers made up waiting on bearing than offer up

Comment

Hi everyone,

Why can't you run a 150/160 rear on your bike now? That's just a 4.5" rear rim. You can easily swap in a rear wheel from a post kat with no issues using your stock swingarm.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Why can't you run a 150/160 rear on your bike now? That's just a 4.5" rear rim. You can easily swap in a rear wheel from a post kat with no issues using your stock swingarm.

Krey
            Didn't know that! :O
            Will save me quite a bit of money and work. Going to try to get hold of a post kat rim. Thanks!

Comment

Didn't know that! :O
              Will save me quite a bit of money and work. Going to try to get hold of a post kat rim. Thanks!

Just note... I suggest you use the complete rear wheel with carrier and rotor (diff bolt patterns on rotors between pre/post). The sprocket can be swapped over no problem.

If your going on the larger size of the fitment (160mm) you may have to do a minor tweak on the brake arm for clearance. What do I mean by minor?... simply bend the center bend more, and then remount it.

Below is a pic of Fred's bike with a pre 600 swingarm (the shorter one) and post katana wheels using a 160/60 tire, doing exactly as mentioned above.

More info on Fred's bike build...

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay, so I got my 98+ rim and the rotor. Got a 160 slapped on, and indeed... Need to bend or modify the torque arm.

Just wondering, does anyone have an example image of the arm after bending? Or can anyone tell me how much it needs to be bend, just to be on the safe side, without the brake calliper being misaligned?

Nevermind. Dropped the arm off at a local welder. He's going to modify the arm to it gives about 100mm extra clearance (half the width of the arm), while keeping the mounts in place.
                Last edited by Stealthspyder; 03-12-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Okay, so I got my 98+ rim and the rotor. Got a 160 slapped on, and indeed... Need to bend or modify the torque arm.

Just wondering, does anyone have an example image of the arm after bending? Or can anyone tell me how much it needs to be bend, just to be on the safe side, without the brake calliper being misaligned?

Nevermind. Dropped the arm off at a local welder. He's going to modify the arm to it gives about 100mm extra clearance (half the width of the arm), while keeping the mounts in place.
                  Speaking from experience, you really don't need a welder to do that.

I added about 15 degree more to the center bend for the clearance. The mount points easily adjusted for that too with mild bending also.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I know it wasn't necessary to weld it, yet I discussed the options with him. Since we couldn't fit it to the bike to see if the clearance was right, we decided to simply cut and weld with a safe amount of clearance.

Still, I read something you (Kreylin) wrote about the carrier. I still have my pre-kat one. I can still swap it out in the future. However, is it a real necessity or can I safely drive around with the pre-kat one?

Comment

I know it wasn't necessary to weld it, yet I discussed the options with him. Since we couldn't fit it to the bike to see if the clearance was right, we decided to simply cut and weld with a safe amount of clearance.

Still, I read something you (Kreylin) wrote about the carrier. I still have my pre-kat one. I can still swap it out in the future. However, is it a real necessity or can I safely drive around with the pre-kat one?
                      I don't have enough information to answer the question.

What parts are you melding together?

I know I have mentioned the pre/post wheels and keeping the carriers together before. If that's what your asking about, then I would suggest that you do that when your able.

The issue is the pre carrier will rub on the post wheel. The fins that fit between the cush rubbers are longer on the pre and touch. Overall the carrier is close enough that it's not going to cause any short term issues that I know of, but long term... rubbing can cause issues.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        I don't have enough information to answer the question.

What parts are you melding together?

I know I have mentioned the pre/post wheels and keeping the carriers together before. If that's what your asking about, then I would suggest that you do that when your able.

The issue is the pre carrier will rub on the post wheel. The fins that fit between the cush rubbers are longer on the pre and touch. Overall the carrier is close enough that it's not going to cause any short term issues that I know of, but long term... rubbing can cause issues.

Krey
                        Might shorten the fins then or just buy a post-kat carrier.

As for the torque arm, this is what we did:

More than enough clearance now and the mounts align correctly.

Comment

Working...
                        X