X

New vs Used exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs Used exhaust

I just got back from a day of riding....two different places, 1 shop and 1 graveyard.
    1st stop....Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts...found a chain guard and an exhaust for my 750F. The interesting part was being told by a rep that the exhaust I had in my hand will not fit my 750F. I wanted so bad to argue that size will most likely match up. First question was that an exhaust from a GSX 600 can't be much different from a 750F......I was replied with "yes"....it can't be much different. So I did some thinking and some matching....found an exhaust from a GSF600. The matchup should be okay....thinking GSX600 vs GSF600..no difference in size, right?? Well...long story short, took the pipe outside to matchup....sure enough. It fits. Only problem....is that there is only one stock bolt that matches, while the pipe end where it meets the exhaust manifold pipes...does not have any, but it does slip in, and the clamp will tighten down, not giving any seeable play. Even tried forcing it apart while tight, and nothing comes apart.....so it was gold to me. The stock bolt near the papillion is a little off center, but its not something that a drill can't handle. So the new (used, in real life)exhaust from a GSF600 Bandit is swappable. But I'm in question of the other parts too. Forks, rear center shock, swingarm, etc..
    My 2nd stop was at a place called Logan's Valley Motorcycles. Logan is a very talented guy who can multitask and get things done in the order they come. I had to go to him for a fork rebuild kit and had a quote done up last week. Went there again today and had him order my kit....can't let my forks go any longer, or I'll be driving a two wheeled death machine. So all in all....I got one problem taken care of today. My noisy 750F is now quieter, so if I venture into Cave Creek the decibel police won't write me a ticket. I can hear nothing but the wind when I ride now.....well...except for when I start up, or shift.
    Last edited by GSXFJeff; 12-08-2012, 08:55 PM.

My 2003 600 had a bandit exhaust on when i bought it.this was fixed by the lower pipe strap and the rear bolt only as normal.
    My new 2004 750 had the original exhaust where it had the lower strap the rear bolt as before and now another bolt near the riders footpeg.
    When i removed this to fit my cheepo ebay smaller exhaust i found the 750 one fitted my 600 no problems and the 600 even has the hole for the extra bolt fitting.
    Hope this usless info helps someone...
    I'm outa here

Comment

Wow.. I just got a headache reading that. I'm guessing by exhaust you are referring to the can section. As the header will fit, but it isn't a good idea since the diameter of the down tubes are smaller.

Originally posted by GSXFJeff View Post
      I just got back from a day of riding....two different places, 1 shop and 1 graveyard.
      1st stop....Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts...found a chain guard and an exhaust for my 750F. The interesting part was being told by a rep that the exhaust I had in my hand will not fit my 750F. I wanted so bad to argue that size will most likely match up. First question was that an exhaust from a GSX 600 can't be much different from a 750F......I was replied with "yes"....it can't be much different. So I did some thinking and some matching....found an exhaust from a GSF600. The matchup should be okay....thinking GSX600 vs GSF600..no difference in size, right?? Well...long story short, took the pipe outside to matchup....sure enough. It fits. Only problem....is that there is only one stock bolt that matches, while the pipe end where it meets the exhaust manifold pipes...does not have any, but it does slip in, and the clamp will tighten down, not giving any seeable play. Even tried forcing it apart while tight, and nothing comes apart.....so it was gold to me. The stock bolt near the papillion is a little off center, but its not something that a drill can't handle. So the new (used, in real life)exhaust from a GSF600 Bandit is swappable. But I'm in question of the other parts too. Forks, rear center shock, swingarm, etc..
      My 2nd stop was at a place called Logan's Valley Motorcycles. Logan is a very talented guy who can multitask and get things done in the order they come. I had to go to him for a fork rebuild kit and had a quote done up last week. Went there again today and had him order my kit....can't let my forks go any longer, or I'll be driving a two wheeled death machine. So all in all....I got one problem taken care of today. My noisy 750F is now quieter, so if I venture into Cave Creek the decibel police won't write me a ticket. I can hear nothing but the wind when I ride now.....well...except for when I start up, or shift.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well...after looking at it for awhile.....the can does look a little big. It will have to do for now until I can afford one of them fancy aftermarket Yoshimura cans every other bike has. The graveyard I went to didn't have any stock 750 cans laying around....but they sure had a junkload of used cans that will fit a 600.

Comment

only use OEM seals to rebuild your forks. any others you are wasting your money. I tried and did it again in a yr.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

So....from what I gather here...all parts for a Kat 750f are supposed to be OEM...does this include pil filters as well as clutches or are there any aftermarket options?? I did get all my OEM stuff together for my forks...just have to find a time and place to get the job done.

Comment

Well...after looking at it for awhile.....the can does look a little big. It will have to do for now until I can afford one of them fancy aftermarket Yoshimura cans every other bike has. The graveyard I went to didn't have any stock 750 cans laying around....but they sure had a junkload of used cans that will fit a 600.
              I have a yoshi can

Comment

So....from what I gather here...all parts for a Kat 750f are supposed to be OEM...does this include pil filters as well as clutches or are there any aftermarket options?? I did get all my OEM stuff together for my forks...just have to find a time and place to get the job done.
                use OEM air filters in stock airbox. use OEM fork seals. the other parts can be aftermarket. use the search function, it's your friend.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                X