X

Exhuast help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhuast help!

Hey guys, I need some advice from you experts out there! My bike is in pretty good shape i try to take care of it but over the years my headers have been getting kinda bad with the rust. I want to take them off before this riding season starts here and clean them up what would you reccomend i use to make them look good?

Sand off as much rust as you can and paint with VHT.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Or send them to a company called Jet Hot and have them ceramic coated. That's gonna cost more than spray paint though.

Comment

Use a wire brush and remove as much of the old rust as you can then use header paint (usually vht as mentioned)

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Note with the VHT there'll be some initial smoking upon first use as they heat up.
            2004 GSX750F

Comment

With any heat resistant paint there will will be some smoking as they heat up and cure.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Forget the wire brush. Get them sandblasted. Last time I needed to clean up a header I took it to the local parts yard and slipped the guy $20. Worth every penny. Then you hit them with Naval Jelly before priming and painting.

In case you're not familiar with Naval Jelly:

Just be sure you're wearing some old jeans and those heavy-duty black rubber gloves when you apply it. That stuff WILL eat your skin!
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys !

Comment

Started sanding the pipes

Comment

When you get tired of sanding remember that bit about sandblasting.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Low on funds and cant afford it but 10 bucks in sanding discs and some elbow grease never hurt anyone LOL Guy wanted 80 to blast both pipes i said no thanks.
                        Last edited by Rebel; 04-08-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

the sandblasting method described will last A LOT longer BTW
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'd have thought you could make the money to pay for sandblasting in less time than it'll take to sand those things by hand. Mow a lawn or something...

Always an option once you get really, truly frustrated.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sanding is all done only took a few hours last night with a few adult beverages I 4.5" grinder with a wire cup wheel. Im not looking for Show quality just not a rusty ugly pipe. Will Start the priming tommorrow or the next day with the vht flame thrower primer paint and clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X