X

Exhaust leak effect the idle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leak effect the idle?

I have a bit of a exhaust leak, and will be fixing it soon. But was curious if it would effect my idling and RPM between 1-3k shifting up or down.
    Glasses Up, bitches down

How big is a bit? Is the leak at the head or at the collector?

Comment

It's a pretty good leak. Right at the bottom, near the lower cowl. Where the header and exhaust meet.
      Glasses Up, bitches down

Comment

i too am experiencing some funny idle issues..
        and strangely enough, i have an exhaust leak at the same point in the system.
        I was told its my carbs that are causing this odd nonsense and needed to be more thoroughly cleaned.
        but im sure the leak isnt helping things...

any insight?
        sigpic
        2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
        2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
        2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

Comment

Lower than normal backpressure from the exhaust can cause the bike to run a little lean (popping on deceleration). Put a little muffler tape around the leak until you can get it fixed and see what you get.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

more than likely you would get excessive noise...if you have a funny idle then you probably have a small leak on the intake somewhere...search for it using some ether...with the bike running, spray some around the carb boots and other sealing surfaces....if your idle jumps when you hit a certain spot you found the leak.. the ether will be drawn into the intake via the leak and will cause the idle to increase in rpm.

if it's not an intake leak i would assume you have some kinks to work out in the carbs...also a bench sync will just get you running...will have to sync your carbs to make them run proper...carbs that are not synced can give you a lean running condition causing popping in the exhaust on decel.

Comment

Working...
            X