X

Filth-flarnflarn-filthy rust...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
    Oil of Wintergreen and a few minutes time to allow it to soak in.........
    thats seriously simplified and sounds too easy . which it is. what you really must do is to pray the crap out of it with wd-40 or simmilar product. let it sit for 30 minutes. come back. with a steel brush or simmilar spray the hell out of it again . come back 30 minutes later. do this as many times as you can, the more the merrier but at the least 5-6 times. then soak it again one last time and let it sit over night. THEN try to loosen it. the 5 minute treatment is just bull****. its never helped me do anything. for it to penetrate in it needs time and you do need to remove the surface rust as much as you can.

also the heating up part does also have a technique. what you need to do is to heat the surrounding of the screw ( nut or in this case the block ) what happens is that the nut expands while the bolt does not. that will help. dont heat up both parts.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I have a buddy coming over in a couple hours, to give me a hand. I'm gonna let the PB Blaster soak until then. The Blaster did take almost all the surface rust off already.

My buddy is bringing a torch, and a grinder...just in case. Thanks for the torch tips, Mammut. I didn't know that.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Don't you have a glock, works on padlocks in every movie I've every seen, should work on piddly little bolt.:bunny2
        Blackdog
        DRz-400e plated
        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

stop at a local garage and ask them heat it up with their Acetelyne/oxygen torch
          You can probably get them to do it for $20 cash

propane and map gas torches have never worked for me on this type of stuff , they dont seem to heat fast enough or hot enough
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Bolt is off. Seems that I needed a bigger boat. Erm...a bigger wrench, I mean. Mine is to small to get the required tourqe/leverage. And yes, the bolt was rusted all to shyte.

It took my buddy about 4 seconds to get it cracked free and turning. That's what I get for using the "child sized" wrench that I got at walmart.
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

Ya thats what I would of done ....a bigger wrench ,,,,,Ya or some wd40 and some TNT ...was a close call betweent the TNT and the wrench .......your call, I'd have gone for the subtle way instead
              I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Mid pipe and can are sanded and ready. Word to the wise...find some kind of mechanized device to do the sanding. Doing it by hand is a pain in the...well, hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder area.
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

I can't believe nobody suggested the BFH! I'm really disappointed in you all.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    I can't believe nobody suggested the BFH! I'm really disappointed in you all.

Big Freakin Hispanic?

Guess he could have done it.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Big Freakin' Hammer.

Of course if the Big Freakin' Hispanic happens to have a real wrench that might have helped, too.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Not only am I mechanically inept, but I happen to be tool challenged, as well. I have one "toy" socket and ratchet set, and a couple screwdrivers. I use the tool kit that came with the bike for everything.
                        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                        Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                        X