X

pilot screws??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot screws??

2006 600 kat, the instuctions for my factory pro jet kit says 4 turns out are max on the pilot screws. Any body know why? Or what would happen if I turned them out more than 4 rounds? Is there a chance of them being to loose and falling out?

Yes, they could fall out. At more than 4 turns they are no longer making any effect... so 4 turns, 6 turns... doesn't matter, it's the same flow inside that the screw is supposed to adjust.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by CHRISKAT600 View Post
      2006 600 kat, the instuctions for my factory pro jet kit says 4 turns out are max on the pilot screws. Any body know why? Or what would happen if I turned them out more than 4 rounds? Is there a chance of them being to loose and falling out?

If they are that far out, and it's still not rich enough, then you need to jump up to the next larger pilot jets. I'm going through this right now, actually. None of the local dealers seem to have the right kind of jets available. In my 06 600 Kat, it seems that the pilot jets are similar, but the same as a style that looks close. Something like VM28/428 or something like that. At least the ones in my Kat are different, so I've ended up ordering a set of the 15's and the 17.5's. I figured as long as I have to pay shipping, I may as well order the next two larger sizes. When I get them, I'll know for sure if the ones I'm getting are right. I believe they are.

For my bike, I've added a full exhaust system with a seemingly huge header, and I did the larger cams. Not sure what you've done or if you really need larger pilot jets.

Comment

I am currently running #15 pilot jets. My a/f ratio is 15.6-16.1 at idle. I would like to get it down in the 14's. That is why I wanted to go more than 4 turns. Also the bike runs a little rich everywhere else. Sometimes when cruising at mid rpms and sometimes at WOT I am seeing a/f ratios in the 10's. But I am pretty satisfied with the performance, so I might just leave it alone. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Well, since I'm just beginning this whole tuning thing, how is your bike setup? What mods have you done, what have you upgraded? Which of the six main jets did you use? Needle position, float height?

I'm planning on doing a post of the "winter mods" and giving details on how I tuned my setup.

Comment

8" delcevik silencer (very loud) float height is 1mm lower than stock, (14mm i think)Mains are 1 size up from stock. Header welds smoothed out. 5 degree ignition advancer. I need to do a carb sync and see if that helps, although the bike runs very well.

Needle position is 2nd notch from top.
            Last edited by CHRISKAT600; 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the input. As soon as I get mine squared away, I'll post up my results to give more info on the mods I did and jet kit calibrating.

Comment

Working...
              X