Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Full LED lighting conversion (aside from headlights)...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full LED lighting conversion (aside from headlights)...

so I decided to do the full LED conversion aside from the headlights

I tried to take pics as well as possible, but apparently its difficult to get focused pics in the dark

theres another thread around for the cluster conversion using the blue #194 SMTD high power LEDs for the backlighting, a green for the Neutral indicator, blue for the highbeam, and red for oil.

the cluster pic

please note: LEDS REQUIRE PROPER POLARITY on install, and thats trial and error. connect cluster and insert each LED to make sure before reinstalling cluster fully!!!

I used a 37LED Tower type 360 degree LED 1157 brake light from pep boys :
    marker lit:

Brake lit:

6led white #194 for the plate light:

same 6LED #194 for the parking light

rear 15LED radial amber 1156 at flash:

same 15led radial amber 1156 in front "smoked clear" turns

all bulbs aside from the 1157 Tower bulb were purchased from Superbrightleds.com ... oddly, in the ONLY useful purchase from PEP BOYS.. the 1157 tower bulb was from there.

also, to make the LED turns blink correctly, an LED turn flasher was installed. I disconnected the integral flasher in the flasher diode unit using the flasher diagram in the servicemanual, and connected the new flasher to the leads... similar to this link

http://www.customdynamics.com/custom...00_flasher.htm
    Last edited by steves; 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM.

• 91_gsx600F katana
    replied
    Your first link are the exact ones I'm using in mine. They make a huge difference compare to the stock bulbs. Make sure you do t get any colors but white lol. I got white and blue but the blue makes it to hard to see the needle and readings. White works best.

I have 3 of the blue ones that you want for your speedo tach and fuel. If u want ill sell them cheaper than ull get from them. The blue u can see and it's a nice blue just harder to see than the white.

Let me know what you want to do.
    Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• crazycraven420
    replied
    But for the Speedo, tach, fuel use the first one so it will illuminate better correct?

Leave a comment:

• steves
    replied
    I would go with the second one for the Neutral/Oil Light/High beam, and in white.

Leave a comment:

• crazycraven420
    replied
    So will this style work? It appears to have the broadest light angle but I'm not sure if this will fit other than the plug style, as in a larger "bulb area". Would it fit inside?..
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...se/228/#images
    Otherwise it's these which has less light angle plus it's only 1 led..
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/227/

I just want something blue that's bright enough to not take too much effort to see but also not blinding or distracting.

Leave a comment:

• steves
    replied
    Here's the answer I gave you back in october....
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gauge+bulb+size...Akatriders.com

And the third result from that page
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67479

Leave a comment:

• crazycraven420
    replied
    Well would you mind getting a part number for me? I've been trying to find it but didn't wanna make a mystery buy

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    I have converted all my lighting to LED but, the headlight. Now I'm going to try a LED headlight bulb and see what the quallity is like. Since I have dual lamps I can compare bulb output and beam side by side. I'll post up when they arrive.

Leave a comment:

• crazycraven420
    replied
    So did anybody find out what the gauge cluster bulbs are for pre kats? I've pulled mine out but they had no numbers an they were very tiny lol. I tried comparing to any in Autozone, advance auto etc and they don't carry anything that small and couldn't find a match. The only thing I thought of just now would be calling a dealer an asking bulb #? Closest thing I found was #74 but I believe the bulb area was much larger...

Leave a comment:

• Frozt
    replied
    I love the LED conversion idea. And what's said about polarity is very true. If your gonna work with electrical, its time to invest in a decent multi meter. I spent $50 on mine and found it extremely useful. One more tip about it. Get some extra wire, heat shrink, and connectors. Build yourself test lead adapters so your not breaking your current ones.

Sent from my phone

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    Ditto!!!

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    Almost got a little teary eyed seeing a JB post come up....

Leave a comment:

• Ms_Mitchell
    replied
    Will those size led bulbs work on 92 gsx600f? I got some leds ordered #74 they didn't fit.. so I want to make sure I get the right size before I order again.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron-71
    replied
    Has anyone tried to use a red LED in place of one of the blue LED's in the tachometer area?

I like the idea of having my whole tach blue, but an actual red line indication (similar to stock) would be a nice touch.

EDIT: Two blue wide (100 degree) angle LED's and one red narrow (15 degree) angle would likely work...

comments?

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    The cluster was fairly easy to get off in my opinion but then again I had the fairings and everything off already.

I posted it so people can see the placement of the bulbs and sometimes an actually picture helps for visual learners like me.

What I assume people would do is read through the post and match it up to the cluster pic just to spark the light bulb if it's needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X