heat shield around can

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat shield around can

Just randomly pondering a mod idea:
    Know how the big-rigs often have a heat shield around their exhaust stacks? Has anyone ever seen, heard of or have any thoughts on putting a cosmetic shield around the muffler / exhaust can?

I was thinking in terms of something with holes where the can is still visible. Would it look mean, or just tacky? Would it help anything, like preventing leg burns (esp passengers), and is there anything in the way that would make this especially difficult?
    The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

I imagine it would work but would be hard to make it look right. Why not just consider a carbon can instead?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

They sell a heat shield with holes drilled in different colors on targa-acc.com. Type in your bike model and look through the parts list. I think they get installed on the mid pipe , but I think they look cool and add a little accent color to the bike

Comment

Hey thanks guys! I wanted to experiment and try to make my own solo cowl. The only DIY way I could find was fiberglass, and that looks pretty complicated for someone with no experience and no help. All the mixing of different chemicals, epoxy and resin and hardener and catalyst and mold-release gels and all that...

I found a website that makes, of all things, medical supplies. Specifically, fiberglass tape used for making casts. So I ordered some, should be here probably tomorrow. I ordered 5 rolls ("1/2-case" discount), will likely only need 1 or 2. I'm just trying to think of what all could be done with the remainder.

If it doesn't work I've only wasted $15. So I was just wondering if that type of fiberglass tape would hold up to the heat of an exhaust pipe... I know there's "heat wrap" for pipes and it looks like fiberglass tape but it may have some kind of high-temp epoxy or something, who knows.

I did check out the website mentioned, the parts were exactly as you said. Seems a bit pricey, but that seems to be par for the course with motorcycle accessories.

The full web address is:
        http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?name=upc_code&value=18-500BK&format=3

The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

Working...
        X