dB Dawg - Removes the sharpness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dB Dawg - Removes the sharpness

Hey all;

I just picked up one of these doohickeys...

Problem I had was that I couldn't stand the noise coming out of the D&D muffler that came on my bike. Even with earplugs, the sound hurt my ears.

Picked this thing up, installed it in the tailpipe, and sure enough, it took off the sharpness.

The bike still has the sound of the muffler, just doesn't have the buzz. I thought I'd share this with the group as I couldn't find anything about it, and didn't really find any info about making the exhaust quieter.

Jamie

2006 Katana 750
    2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
    2003 Mercury Marauder

Hmmm...I'm curious about these...I also have a D&D and sometimes think the noise might be a bit much.

Comment

10db's is really not that much, as your D&D's probabaly put out over a 100 to start with, great idea though.
      Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Originally posted by ne-oublie View Post
        10db's is really not that much, as your D&D's probabaly put out over a 100 to start with, great idea though.
        Quite incorrect, my good man.

Decibels are not linear in that way. Every increase of 10 db is perceived as a doubling of loudness, regardless of the original level.

This is why every kid with a big stereo in his car can hit 140db, but it takes a LOT more to get to 160db. In my hearing-damaged state, I can listen to a car at 140db for a long time without any discomfort, but at 160db I can barely stand it at all. That difference of 20db is IMMENSE!

And that, my friend, is my useless piece of information for the day.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

...and, since I believe that the 120dB level is where damage to your hearing occurs, taking 10 off that is quite helpful...

2006 Katana 750
          2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            Quite incorrect, my good man.

Decibels are not linear in that way. Every increase of 10 db is perceived as a doubling of loudness, regardless of the original level.
            ...and takes TEN times the amount of power to produce.
            The bel scale is logarithmic.

My useless facts of the day!

Cheers.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb View Post
              ...and takes TEN times the amount of power to produce.
              The bel scale is logarithmic.

My useless facts of the day!

Cheers.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My inner nerd wants to play... 6dB is double intensity, 20dB is 10x, & 40dB is 100x. Earthquake scale is logarithmic too.
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Jamie,

What size dB Dawg did you use w/ your D&D and who did you get it from? I just ordered the Street Pack from D&D but want to add a Dawg too. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Comment

Rob;

I bought the largest one, 1.75"-2.00" diameter. It's the black one. I bought it from Royal Distributing here in Canada. For the size, just measure the ID of your tailpipe. My D&D is 2" ID. I imagine yours would be the same.

Jamie

2006 Katana 750
                    2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Jamie,

Thanks for the quick reply. My bike is at the shop so I can't measure the pipe, but I wanted to go ahead and order now. I was thinking it was around 2" and the black one should work fine w/ the satin black can I have. Thanks again.

Rob

Comment

has anyone needed to rejet after installing the db dawg? Im looking in to getting one for my D&D and im wondering if I will need to do that as well. Thanks.

Comment

I didn't rejet after the install. But I don't know if the previous owner did anything when installing the D&D either...

2006 Katana 750
                          2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Working...
                          X