X

Bar End Mirrors on the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar End Mirrors on the Kat

The Kat mirrors are awesome, there is no question. Little vibration and great visibility; however, like most (all?) motorcycle mirrors they don't do a great job of exposing what is behind you and beside you simultaneously.

As a result I decided I wanted to install some bar end mirrors to give me a wider view of what's coming up from behind. The only Katana compatible bar end mirrors retailed for $60+ each, which I could not justify when so many generic alternatives seem to be available.

Having scoured the forums for suggestions and recommendations on bar end mirrors for the Kat and found none, I am heading down the path of a custom solution based on $15 generic mirrors from China/eBay and $15 worth of hardware from god's own online hardware shop to aid in installation and reducing vibration.

Pictorial installation instructions and a review of the solution are forthcoming. (Awaiting hardware delivery)

More mirrors == More betterer.

Stay tuned.
    /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
    ...and miles to go before I sleep.
    - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

As a habitual lane splitter, it's legal in CA., I never wanted to make my bike WIDER than it already is. Hope you like your mirrors.

Comment

I bought bar end mirrors off ebay for $20. All you have to do is knock the slug out of the end of the bars, only took about 20mins to install and they work great. They vibrate a whole lot less than the stock ones. Check out my garage for pics.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
        As a habitual lane splitter, it's legal in CA., I never wanted to make my bike WIDER than it already is. Hope you like your mirrors.
        Different stokes for different folks. Personally I wouldn't dream of splitting lanes (even if it was legal) so a wider bike with greater rear visibility is a big win.

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
        I bought bar end mirrors off ebay for $20. All you have to do is knock the slug out of the end of the bars, only took about 20mins to install and they work great. They vibrate a whole lot less than the stock ones. Check out my garage for pics.
        I considered that, but I want to keep those heavy bar ends to reduce the vibration in the bars.

I got these mirrors all installed yesterday -- Fit and finish is great, and they work as expected (that is, they reflect stuff that is behind me )

Pics will follow.
        Last edited by Sounder600; 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
        The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
        ...and miles to go before I sleep.
        - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
          Those bar end mirrors look great! All I can see out of my mirrors are how nice my elbow pads look. At least it is legal. I might be making a bar-end mirror investment.

I took a look at the pictures posted of your bike and I really like the look of your it, nice, clean, smooth and well kept. What is the screen you have behind the windscreen? GPS?
          In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Thanks.... and yes, GPS.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
            X