X

Exhaust repair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust repair

Hey, so im going to try and replace the mufflers on my 96 kat600. the previous owner had the baffles removed and i picked up some stock mufflers cut with about 5" of pipe still left on it.

so my plan was to cut the current mufflers off using a dremel w/cutoff wheels, mount the stock mufflers to the bike and (after hopefully getting the pipe from the muffler and midpipe as flush as possible) then jb weld the two pipes together.
    I was also planning on getting a larger diameter pipe,and fitting it over both pipe ends after its hardened and then jb welding that over the joint.

That was my plan...now ive never tried anything like this so I was hoping you all could give me advice, let me know what you think, if itll work and everything.

Ive heard a lot of people swear by jb-weld so I think itll be strong enough and be able to withstand the heat, i hope. But those are my two main concerns- will jbweld hold, and will the dremel be strong enough to cut through the pipe (assuming its 20k+ rpm)

ive heard of some exhaust wrap stuff, like "rock cast" and something but i think that might be for just patching holes or something, i dont know.

JB Weld is great stuff but not for patching exhaust pipes together. Exhaust wrap is for heatproofing the pipes and will not hold them together. Neither will muffler repair wrap for long. If I were you I'd cut the old mufflers off close to the muffler inlets. Then, measure the 'new' mufflers inlet pipes (what's attached anyway) and then trim the old system so that you can fit the new mufflers to the mounts and the pipe ends will be flush to each other. Take the whole shebang down to a local muffler shop and have them weld the mufflers to the pipes. Shouldn't cost more than $30-40 and that will be a whole LOT better than JB Weld.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

+1

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Man..i was really hoping to avoid spending more money. Im still in college so I want to try to keep the costs like maintenance and repairs from racking up...i know its only $40..but adding $ from parts..and who knows what else down the line.

thanks for your advice though I know deep down it's probably the best decision but Im hoping there's someone here who has successfully made a repair like that with jb weld..

Comment

Working...
        X