Got any shortcuts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got any shortcuts?

hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of polishing up my aluminum exhaust canister.

any of you guys got shortcuts so this wont take so long i've already got like 4 hours into this thing. lol

any pointers would be appreciated, and maybe you guys have the low down on what polish works best.

Thanks again.

Was it polished to start with, or a satin finish?

Quickest way to get a mirror finish.

Start with sandpaper that is slightly finer than the current finish.

Sand all over well until it's uniform in texture. Increase the grit of the sandpaper, do it again. Depending on where you start, general idea of the grits to use...

400-600-800-1000-1500-2000...

Then switch to a polish and buffing wheel.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i just did my vance and hines ss2r can with mothers mag and aluminum polish in a little over an hour.. wipe on in circular motion and buff off with soft cloth. no hard scrubbing or nothing. just rub until it turns black and wipe off.
      awesome stuff

Comment

+1 on the mothers polish! Good stuff, also try never dull... gets all the pits and rust marks,etc. right out.
        SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
        Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by sav View Post
          gets all the pits right out.
          Really? Might have to give that a shot on my wheels.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Really? Might have to give that a shot on my wheels.
            yea my buddy used the neverdull on his aluminum radiator and his front mount and they came out awesome... looked brand new
            as for just a polish i'm still going with the mothers stuff..

Comment

My wheels are pitted to hell and back.

If it saves me hours upon hours of sanding then heyo...

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I used to buy something called Autosol when I had a bike with aluminum wheels and case covers.....the stuff worked worders, but I'm not sure they make it anymore.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  My wheels are pitted to hell and back.

If it saves me hours upon hours of sanding then heyo...

thats exactly what my can looked like and now it is mirror with just the mothers.

my rims look identical and i am planning on trying the mothers on them will let you know the outcome, i think i have the neverdull too if i do i will try it and let ya know the outcome.

Comment

+1 for Mothers and the Mothers polishing ball. They have a couple of new versions of the polishing ball with small ends for getting in those crevices. Lots less elbow grease needed.
                    '07 Yamaha FJR1300
                    '05 Katana 600

Comment

Ive got a great mini polisher I use a lot. Its basically an air drill with a foam pad on the end. That mothers stuff is nice. Meguires has some aluminum polish to i think. I had neither when I polished a frame up, so i used a regular buffing compound for paint and it worked just as well
                      My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

Comment

Working...
                      X