X

Exhaust for 2003 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for 2003 Katana 600

I have a 2003 Katana 600. I want to put a custom exhaust on it to give it more of a scream. My main reasoning is for the simple fact people will hear me coming and be aware I'm on road (safety).

I've never done any custom work to my bike and am new to working on bikes in general.

My questions are..
    What type of exhaust is best?
    Will I be able to install it as without any mechanical knowledge?
    What are the biggest differences in brands and types of exhausts (sounds, price, horse power, etc...)

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks from a new rider
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

You can tell yourself it's for safety all you want, but we know.

If you want loud, D&D is one of the loudest I have ever heard. So is two bros.

I have heard D&D, Two bros, yosh, V&H, Acrapovic, and those two stand out the most.

As long as you have common sense you can install it no problem.

Also as a new member you will find the search function to be very helpful for these kinds of questions.

Have fun
    Let's go riding!

Comment

In that case does anyone have any tips for the best place to purchase these type of parts as far as price and quality go?
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

craigslist

ebay

the usual places
        Let's go riding!

Comment

Search is more helpful- but I've got a Yosh RS-3 and love it. From an unopened box to fully installed it took about 25/30 mins. It's straightforward.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Honestly, your stock pipe will give you the most HP for the stock jetting. Noise? D&D or TBR all the way. Install is easy enough for a ten year old to do it really....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
              Install is easy enough for a ten year old to do it really....
              I thought you were going to say "a caveman could do it."

If loud pipes save lives just imagine what riding skills will do.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                I thought you were going to say "a caveman could do it."

If loud pipes save lives just imagine what riding skills will do.
                Dude, reps.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've ridden one with a Yoshi pipe, and it was quite reasonable. Not the "loudest", but sounded great.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    Honestly, your stock pipe will give you the most HP for the stock jetting.
                    Which one produces the most hp with rejetting?

Comment

Yoshi offers a good product; D&D is just plain loud, especially w a full kit. You wont make any friends. Muzzy and Akro is easily rebuildable or modified. Arrow makes a decent product as well.

Any pipe that gets rid of the three factory suppression tubes to a baffled straight will open up the exhaust. You still have the restriction of the header; the baffling in the muffler will continue to help backpressure.

As mentioned rejetting is recommended to get the performance out of the slip on. Remember to open up the intake too; if you're mouth is sown shut it doesnt matter how much you can chit, your engine wont be doing much work. Look into a BMC or K&N. Then rejet.

As for gains... honest gains not "my sticker makes 15hp"... maybe 5 at the most, in the upper range of your rpms. You're not saving too much weight; the stock manifold is still there; the sound will make it feel faster then anything.

For mine, I just cut the can in half where the restriction plate was and pieced it back together 6" shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post
                        You're not saving too much weight;
                        My Hindle weighed under 3 pounds and replaced a stock 17 pound can. Using the old school formula of 7 pounds equals 1 horsepower, I gained 2 HP and great sound. Then factor in the rejetting that gains about 5 HP and you effectively can gain about 7 HP and have better sound.
                        By the way for you California riders, keep the OE can and any "smog" equipment as "Smog Check" is on the way.

Comment

a 17 lb can? my stock one weighed(w California Carb regs imbedded in it) weighed 10lbs w the midpipe.

On a bike that weighs more then most 1kcc's and half the horsepower, you're not looking at much still.

Going on a diet and not wearing 28-35lbs of track gear would earn more performance if you were derogatory for weight/horsepower.

Comment

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post

Going on a diet and not wearing 28-35lbs of track gear would earn more performance if you were derogatory for weight/horsepower.
                            Huh?

The productication of the translation is dependified by the elation of the subjugation!

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                            -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                              Huh?

The productication of the translation is dependified by the elation of the subjugation!
                              You guys lost me

Comment

Working...
                              X