X

modifying my bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying my bike

hey guy,s. hope some of you can help me out. iv just got my bike. its a gsx750f 1998. iv fitted pazzo levers,smoked doubble bubble screen and a bandit 600 link pipe and art race can to it. im looking to do some more mods to the bike. i would like to fit a wider rear wheel to the bike but im not sure what will fit it. can anyone help.

thanks gary

I'm just trying to save you from others wrath, try the search function, this topic has been covered.

Comment

ok. thank you. iv had a look but can find anything. all i need to know is what wheel and spacers do i use.
      Last edited by garymitch; 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

ive seen 2 kats with 180 or 190 tires on them. 1 was a pre that was Kreylyn and the other was a post that was KatanaPr3(i think) best bet would get in touch with them
        Chrome Project Part 1
        http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Measure the distance between your swingarm inside to inside at the axle, then again measure inside to inside of the swingarm at the widest point of the tire, and give me the exact measurments and I'll tell you....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Measure the distance between your swingarm inside to inside at the axle, then again measure inside to inside of the swingarm at the widest point of the tire, and give me the exact measurments and I'll tell you....

Krey
            ok thank you. i will do that tomorrow.

Comment

Krey
              pm sent

Comment

The answer is...

5.5 should fit, with a little shaving of the brake caliper bracket... I would guess a 180 would be about as large as you would want to go tire size, but a 190 might squeeze in depending upon brand.

I forgot to mention in the PM.... you will need to modify the brake arm or it's mounting points as well... or have one custom made.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Your handling will be sacrificed by going wiser on the rear; but it will fill up the look of the rear.

Comment

The answer is...

5.5 should fit, with a little shaving of the brake caliper bracket... I would guess a 180 would be about as large as you would want to go tire size, but a 190 might squeeze in depending upon brand.
                    Yup, I can vouch for this. I have a 5.5" rim and when I bought the bike it had a 190 Conti fitted to the rear. Fit fine, mushroomed a little bit but nowhere near alarming. Going from a flat topped 190 to a brand new 180 was a world of difference though, I would not reccomend the 190 if you take your bike out and hit the twisties hard. Of course, if you had a 6" rim it would be fine, but I don't know how well a 6-er would fit in the stock swingarm...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

the gsxr1100 91-94 and 93-94 gsxr 750 rim will work,get the carrier for the rim,yours won't work.also get a 1100 sproket in whatever size you prefer,swap your stock bearings in the rim,mill 1/4" from the rim side of your brake bracket where the axle goes through.there are two types of rims one is pre98(curved spokes) the other is 98+(straight) either will work,use your existing spacers.if you get the rim an need more help jus holla
                      It's not an R bike,it's made for sport touring. Compare it to what it IS!

Comment

careful with the double bubble in the sun. they have been known to melt the katana's dash
                        myspace
                        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post
                          Your handling will be sacrificed by going wiser on the rear; but it will fill up the look of the rear.
                          I disagree completely with this comment about handling.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Yup, I can vouch for this. I have a 5.5" rim and when I bought the bike it had a 190 Conti fitted to the rear. Fit fine, mushroomed a little bit but nowhere near alarming. Going from a flat topped 190 to a brand new 180 was a world of difference though, I would not reccomend the 190 if you take your bike out and hit the twisties hard. Of course, if you had a 6" rim it would be fine, but I don't know how well a 6-er would fit in the stock swingarm...
                          I had discussed this with someone, and I believe the hub is about wider than the 5.5 on the 6.. by almost 1/2"... If so, I don't think there is going to be enough space for the 6" in the swinger stock. Need about 10" inside to inside at the axle for a 6".

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

I disagree completely with this comment about handling.

how come? Im just curious on your reasoning...

you are installing a wider tire on the rear and coning the tire profiles, requiring more weight and effort for leaning over. If you begin to mushroom the tire the bike eccentially will be lifting up as you begin to turn in. A wider tire doesn't mean you're getting a better nor wider contact patch if the geometry is off. Going to a stickier tire vs a wider tire will give performance.

for those who do track busas its very common to see 180s on the rear to make a quicker turn in. the kat I rode on the track did just fine w a 160; my only concerns were the tire compound(mainly in the front) and the front spring rate.

Comment

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post
                              how come? Im just curious on your reasoning...

you are installing a wider tire on the rear and coning the tire profiles, requiring more weight and effort for leaning over. If you begin to mushroom the tire the bike eccentially will be lifting up as you begin to turn in. A wider tire doesn't mean you're getting a better nor wider contact patch if the geometry is off. Going to a stickier tire vs a wider tire will give performance.

for those who do track busas its very common to see 180s on the rear to make a quicker turn in. the kat I rode on the track did just fine w a 160; my only concerns were the tire compound(mainly in the front) and the front spring rate.
                              Well, couple things...

First the thread is about going wider rim (and thus an approriate wider tire with the correct profile). If you were thinking it was about an oversized tire (asking to put a 180 on a Kat 4.5" rim) then yeah, that would be an issue.

I've got over 3k miles on my bike after my swap putting a 5.5" rim, and a 180/55 tire on my Kat. For sport touring it's been absolutly fantastic giving a smoother lean transistion, and over all I'm feel it has provided a much better ride even in the twisties. It has not affected my street ride at all in a negative way.

If your focus is track riding (and I see from some other posts you do alot of that?... ) then I can see there might be an issue at the top skill set of the tire not having as tight a turning radius. I have to ask, how many street riders are ever going to push it to that limit?.... and those that are, should be getting off the street, and join you at the track!

I feel that my bike rides alot better now on the street.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X