VHT Headers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT Headers

Hello all,
    It looks like I have a week of rain ahead of me in Atlanta and I was thinkin about doing some work. Just searched on painting headers and it seems the route to go is powder coat or jet coat however I do not have the funds, and it happens that my buddy is going to give me some cans of VHT header paint for free (flat black). I want to do the de-weld mod since the heads will be off but have some questions.

1) Do I have to sync or tune the carbs after removing the welds? (or is it recommended?)
    2) Directions recommend red scotch brite..is this all that will be needed to remove rust and debris?

Thanks in advance!

I just recently did the header deweld. On my particular application, it's an 06 600 with only around 3100 miles at the time I did the work. I readjusted the mixture screws from the factory settings to 2.75 turns out, I put an advancer in, and dewelded the header while having it removed for doing a shift kit. I also adjusted the valves. I did NOT have to resync the carbs, however, if your's has more miles and is close to needing a resync anyway, then the change may be enough to push it over the edge to really needing it.

As to painting the header, I don't really know. I haven't ever had good results in painting car headers, so I'm not the person to give advice on that.

Make sure you have the appropriate gaskets for putting everything back together.

Grinding the welds is easy, but a little time consuming. Take it easy, and wear eye protection.

Comment

If you can get your header sandblasted, then that is the way to go. Any rust left behind will only cause issues after some time.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
        I just recently did the header deweld. On my particular application, it's an 06 600 with only around 3100 miles at the time I did the work. I readjusted the mixture screws from the factory settings to 2.75 turns out, I put an advancer in, and dewelded the header while having it removed for doing a shift kit. I also adjusted the valves. I did NOT have to resync the carbs, however, if your's has more miles and is close to needing a resync anyway, then the change may be enough to push it over the edge to really needing it.

As to painting the header, I don't really know. I haven't ever had good results in painting car headers, so I'm not the person to give advice on that.

Make sure you have the appropriate gaskets for putting everything back together.

Grinding the welds is easy, but a little time consuming. Take it easy, and wear eye protection.
        you didn't resync the carbs after a valve adjustment? Uuummm... that's what a sync IS. Syncing the vacuum levels to the valve clearances.

Comment

Working...
        X