X

do slip ons require rejetting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do slip ons require rejetting?

Just finished putting on a hindle midpipe and performance Can on my 2003 Kat and was happy to find out that the Hindle Midpipe came with an area for me to mount the rubber stopper so I wouldn't lose my Center Kick!

I Just wanted to know if I now need to rejet my carbs or anything like that... From what I understand, if you are just installing a slip on and not a full exhaust you don`t need to do anything else but buy earplugs and enjoy the ride.

However, since I changed from a stock muffler with baffles to a perf pipe type of muffler - thereby changing to a more unrestricted flow through the system - I was wondering if anything else needed to be done,..??
    ROCP

rejetting is not required....but it wouldnt hurt..
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorange189 View Post
      rejetting is not required....but it wouldnt hurt..
      This^^^
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You will benefit by a jet kit with no slip on, so you of course should see some gains with a jet kit and a lower restriction muffler.
        By the way congratulations on your choice of slip on, you can do no better than a Hindle. And that is not an opinion.

Comment

I did the Ivan's kit first and I found a major difference, not in top end, but in response and smoothness. I am dying to get a slip-on, but maybe father's day Already have a CF hindle with a euro tip picked out

I also did the timing advance at the same time and I wish I did them separate to be able to differentiate between results, oh well. It's way better now.

I can't imagine going any leaner on the stock jetting by adding a slip-on. I hated the flat spots before the jet kit.

J

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
            By the way congratulations on your choice of slip on, you can do no better than a Hindle. And that is not an opinion.
            I was trying to decide between a Hindle, Yosh, and Scorpion. The YouTube videos I came across don't do any of them justice.

I finally went by what I've read on the forums and what I've heard in person.

I was pretty much set to order an oval CF Hindle with a Euro tip until I came across a guy selling a black anodized round hindle for $100 CDN. Couldn't pass that up so all I needed to order was the midpipe and I was good to go!

Thanks for everyone's help,... Looks like jetting is in the near future!

One more question,... is there any difference between an oval pipe or a round pipe or it just asthetics?
            ROCP

Comment

You will benefit by a jet kit with no slip on, so you of course should see some gains with a jet kit and a lower restriction muffler.
              I would like to see some documentation on how the Hindle is superior to any other.

Tmod

Comment

1) Oval versus round is not for performance difference although on a race bike it may allow more ground clearance / lean angle.

2) The Hindle is just put together better, feels better, looks like a work of mechanical art. Tubing bends are a thing of beauty. The weight is less than any of the other exhausts I've dealt with over the years. If you don't recognize that, it's probably because you've never owned one. Magazine articles are printed by people who get paid by suppliers so you likely won't find a true comparison. Also, I didn't say Hindle's produced more power (although they might) or had more ground clearance (although they probably do) or were hand made (although they look like they are). They are simply a better quality / design / fitting pipe. That is a fact and I've owned / raced / serviced several brands of pipe.

Comment

1) Oval versus round is not for performance difference although on a race bike it may allow more ground clearance / lean angle.

2) The Hindle is just put together better, feels better, looks like a work of mechanical art. Tubing bends are a thing of beauty. The weight is less than any of the other exhausts I've dealt with over the years. If you don't recognize that, it's probably because you've never owned one. Magazine articles are printed by people who get paid by suppliers so you likely won't find a true comparison. Also, I didn't say Hindle's produced more power (although they might) or had more ground clearance (although they probably do) or were hand made (although they look like they are). They are simply a better quality / design / fitting pipe. That is a fact and I've owned / raced / serviced several brands of pipe.
                  Nope I have never owned one, Was just curious as to what you meant by superior.

Tmod

Comment

Alot of ppls get some popping from there exhaust. And jetting fixs that. But I don't know if that depends on locations or not. I installed a jet kit before my Yoshi
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014
                    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

There is a fender eliminator kit available at your local hardware store for $5. It is listed under "joist hanger". Simply use a dremel tool, saw, or utility knife to get rid of the plastic fender and then use the joist hanger to mount plate and turn signals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                      obd2 connector |Odometer Correction Tools |Diagnostic Tools
                      Cheap and good android mobile phone and tablet pc

Comment

I do not agree with that comment, the best constructed can is without a doubt a Yoshimura, designed purely for racing applications in performance an maintenance.I am currently running a devil can, quality, yes but not to Yoshimura standards in regards to maintenance.
                        Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-17-2012, 10:53 PM.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I know everyone thinks Yoshimura are great mufflers because it's the Suzuki/Yoshimura race team, so they must be good right? No, that is nothing but a marketing tactic. The reason it's the Suzuki/Yoshimura team is simply because Yoshimura gave Suzuki the most money to slap the Yoshimura name on a muffler that Yoshimura had NOTHING to do with building. Each race team builds their own machines. Every detail, down to the exhaust. Then they slap the Yoshimura name on it. Trust me when I tell you, Yoshimura is no better or worse then Two Brothers, D&D, Vance & Hines, Hindle, etc. A slip-on is just for sound. That's it, plain and simple. Except Akrapovic, but that's not a slip-on, that's a full system. They are designed specifically to improve performance. They don't make an exhaust for a Katana, that I know of. They might have in 1989 when there was still hope for the GSX600F before the GSXR 600 came out.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 10-18-2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

What if you're going super short like chopped midpipe to shorty can? is tuning necessary?

Comment

Working...
                            X