X

Upgrades

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades

I have a 2006 Katana 600. My sister backed over it a few days ago...don't wanna talk about it . They turned it into their insurance and the insurance is sending my bike shop a check for about $2300. The stock exhaust is $750, (which was quoted) so after talking to the mechanic, I'm going to get a Two Brothers carbon fiber exhaust instead. But i'm gonna end up with some extra money. In your opinion, what are some nice upgrades I can get/do for my bike. I'd like to concentrate on performance before cosmetics. Thanks!
    Touch of Reality Lady Rider Pres

There's all sorts of stuff you can do. Are you thinking about performance or apperance mods? Both?
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

have it painted blue, it'll go faster that way

Comment

Stage 1 jet kit
        5* Ignition advancer
        Shift Detent Kit

^These three can all be purchased from Factory Pro. I know CyberPoet stocks the advancers and springs pretty often.

Full exhaust system
        Regear with different sprockets
        HEL or other SS brake lines
        The GSXR1000 brake caliper upgrade
        Get your shock revalved
        Cartridge emulators
        High performance brake pads

If you wanna go fast, you need to make sure your suspension and brakes are up to the task first.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I would first make sure that nothing else is bent, broken or mis-aligned.

After that upgrades are good and IMO the suspension would be the place to start. Engine mods are nice and add a touch of personal flavor to the bike. But do they really let you corner better or have more confidence in what the bike is doing? Suspension mods give you a better riding bike that you will have more trust in when cornering as well as a bit of safety to your bike. Suspension improvements start with the tires and then forks as well as rear shock. When all these work together your bike will be more enjoyable to ride and yes you will even be faster through the corners that engine mods would allow.

If you ride only straight roads get the engine mods, If you have curves in there as well get the suspension mods.

EDIT: I need to add that the best suspension in the world is not worth a damn if it isn't setup right, So make sure that gets done if you decide on the suspension mods.

Tmod

Comment

36mm flat slide carbs, Mikuni RS series smooth bores.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyjamu View Post
              In your opinion, what are some nice upgrades I can get/do for my bike. I'd like to concentrate on performance before cosmetics. Thanks!
              Bandit 1200 engine, with it's accesories.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                Bandit 1200 engine, with it's accesories.
                I like the way this man thinks
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014
                Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

For power, a Factory Pro jet kit to go with your slip on. Then grind those header welds and your set.
                  Get a pair of tires to match your riding style / tastes.
                  Tune your forks with RaceTech emulators and your choice of springs to match your riding style. Replace the shock with a Penske / Ohlins (good luck finding one) / Works / Hagon.
                  Of course you would have long since spent all the money you had "extra".

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Gonna look into these suggestions. Disclaimer: I am completely mechanically illiterate. All the work is going to be done at a professional body shop. They inspected it to make sure the frame was still good. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyjamu View Post
                      Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Gonna look into these suggestions. Disclaimer: I am completely mechanically illiterate. All the work is going to be done at a professional body shop. They inspected it to make sure the frame was still good. Thanks again.
                      If thats the case, you can kiss your extra money goodbye. Get a few decals to make it faster and the dealer will take the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                        If thats the case, you can kiss your extra money goodbye. Get a few decals to make it faster and the dealer will take the rest.
                        Not necessarily, depending on what repairs they're doing. Might have enough for an exhaust and a jet kit or something.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The stock exhaust was $750...2 brothers exhaust is $500. Extra $250 right there. And there is more items like that where I'm saving money. The shop guy let me browse through their catalog to see what I wanted else with the insurance money. But I have no clue what i want....thus the post.

Comment

well if your riding on the factory tires spend your money there.

Comment

the RS carbs are like $1000, the extra jetting is like $500. $250 not looking like so much now eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X