X

header/exhaust help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header/exhaust help

sorry i do not have pix at the moment my camera is not working. i purchased a set of headers exhaust system from a 92 katana. i have 97 and it doesnt fit so i put a custom slipon on i welded it. but now i went to install a stage 1 and 3 jet kit and a k&n air filter and the mechanic says they cant tune it cause i have 1 stock and 1 after market. so i was wondering if any knows if it would be safe to cut my stock headers and weld the 4-1 headers from the 92 and run it like that. can anyone help?

Is it a stage 1 or a stage 3?

Regardless you can put on the 4-1, make a mid pipe, and cut off and weld on the aftermarket can onto the new mid pipe and use it.

If it's stage 1 jet kit, do NOT use the k&n filters. Use the stock box.

If it's stage 3 jet kit... return it, and get a stage 1. Stage 3 simply is not a good option for the road... there is just way too much gas for stop and go traffic... It's meant for high rpm, high speed track use.

It will bog down on stop and go.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why would the headers for a 92 not fit a 97? I think you might have a 600 system and a 750 system.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

headers on both a 600 and 750 will bolt on... but yes, if it's a 750, make sure the headers are large enough for a 750, do not use headers for a 600 on it.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          headers on both a 600 and 750 will bolt on...
          So then it's safe to say that the headers that wont mount up are not Katana headers?

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If the exhaust is really from a 92 Kat it should fit just fine. You might want to step back and reassess. I'm running a 4-1 header from a GSXR which bolts right up and plays well with stock jets. (Stage 1 would work a little better but that's $$ and the kids want groceries...) That might be something to look at.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              (Stage 1 would work a little better but that's $$ and the kids want groceries...)
              Bastages!

Comment

yea its a 92 headers when i put it on the piece that goes in the hole was like a inch or a little more to long and the gaskets or the peice that srews in didnt go flush with the engine so i cut it down to the same size as the stock and then when i installed it its leaking air so i had no choice but to put the stock back. i welded 1 d&d pipe and left 1 stock. its sounds awesome. but when i went to install the k&n and stage 1 and 3 jet kit it wasnt tuning right. so i left just the stage 1 in but took out the stage 3 and k&n filter. today im about to put a yosh can on the other side is it safe to put 2 diffrent types of cans on the bike? and also kreylyn can i leave the stage 1 kit and put the k&n filter on without the stage 3? i think the mechanic might be trying to rob me because he told me he uninstalled the k&n and stage 3 because it wanst tuning right but left in the stage 1 can i just put the k&n back and have it run correctly?

Comment

The 4-1 headers just needed longer bolts, not to cut down the headers. Not sure what you did there won't continue to give you issues.

I'm still confused about what jet kit your using.

Stage # refers to the specific jet kit. There are 2 completely different kits.. stage 1, and a stage 3. They are not 1 kit you combine in use.

Please clarify what jet kit your using before we can accurately answer the filter question.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

are you serious? just needed longer bolts? i feel like a moron i cut them down cause it wasnt flush. i have a dyno jet stage 1 installed now i was told. i had a k&n filter but had it removed because the mechanic told me i need stage 3 installed to make it work. so your telling me stage 1 and 3 cant be both installed?

Comment

If the exhaust is really from a 92 Kat it should fit just fine. You might want to step back and reassess. I'm running a 4-1 header from a GSXR which bolts right up and plays well with stock jets. (Stage 1 would work a little better but that's $$ and the kids want groceries...) That might be something to look at.
                      What year GSXR header are you using?
                      1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

No, it's one or the other, not both together.

A jet kit is going to include specific sized parts to allow for increased gas flow. Stage 1 is an increase over stock. Stage 3 is an larger increase, over stage 1. To instal either, you have to replace parts that only one or the other can be put in....

There isn't a way to combine the two, and have the bike run right... You need all 4 cylinders to get close to the same gas flow for the engine to run well... too much into one or more carbs from others, causes it to run poorly. This is part of the sync process, and is also why there is an issue with the K&N filters...

You have gas and air flows to consider with a well running engine. The state 1 kit is a good working increase to the gas flow. The stage 3 is not... it puts so much gas out, so much so that the engine will bogg down at lower rpms.

For example, the average street riding means your running in the 3-6k rpm range for basic stop and go traffic. When I had my stage 3 kit in, the bike would try to stall out if I was under 8k rpm from a stop due to overloading... too much gas, not enough burn. It was flooding out. 8k and over on the rpms... it would scream! So, great for the track.

Now, back to the air.... The Kat carbs are designed to work with the stock air filter. There is a certain amount of back pressure the stock box creates that is needed for the carbs to work correctly for the right air gas mixture. If that back pressure is not there, then too much air flows... and you don't get the right mixture. The result is it's very difficult to properly tune the gas flow to match, and the carbs won't be quite right. So it won't run at full potential.

The stage 3 kits put out more gas than the stock box will allow air to match. So...

Use the stock box with the stage 1 jet kit. It will be the best choice for improved performance, and easy to tune even for a proffesional, for your style riding....

Now... back to the exhaust. The primary flow restriction is going to be the headers. If your using stock headers, they will not have enough flow for the stage 3. High flow, aftermarket headers would be needed.

Stock headers could be used for the stage one, but you would benifit a bit from upgrading to aftermarket headers, or slightly larger headers.

For the ones you mentioned, the leaking issue is most likely due to the cuts not being perfectly flat. The brackets on the headers are not supposed to be "flush" to the engine. mine are about 1" away...

I would say your probably going to have issues with using those, unless you can have someone flatten them correctly, and at the right angle. Or, you could look at getting a full system that will match your bike. There are some decent after market exhausts out there that are not that expensive, at least, not much more than the jet kit you bought.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                        X