X

chrome headers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome headers

could you actually chrome your headers will it still bolt up correct if so i may just i have a friend who works at a chrome shop

you know how hot those things get? I'd make sure the chrome plating can handle the heat. Although, I'd be better off putting that money up my nose then chroming them. And my project bike cost is not an consideration. Still, I'd be better off putting that money up my nose. Now jet coating, that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      you know how hot those things get? I'd make sure the chrome plating can handle the heat. Although, I'd be better off putting that money up my nose then chroming them. And my project bike cost is not an consideration. Still, I'd be better off putting that money up my nose. Now jet coating, that's a different story.
      Sounds like a solid "Maybe" to me.
      Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

as far as bolting up, they will be fine. What you NEED to do is find out what heat the chrome plating will handle.

Comment

Where are you located. I have no crome place near me that I can find. Your buddy want more work?
          R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

You could always find a set of Bandit 600 headers, they are Stainless steel and look way batter then the stock Kat ones.
            Kyle

Comment

You can chrome it but you'll end up with "bluing", look at Harleys...now jet coating, like arsenic recommended, is your best bet. You can have it jet coated in aluminum color, they mix ceramic and aluminum together for the color. Nice thing about it is that you can polish it to make it shinier but it won't we chrome but it won't "blue" either. Stainless is a good alternative but can be heavy. I had my pipes jet coated and I was very happy with the results.
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I got mine jet coated black, with all the blue accents and the extreme chrome powder coat in certain area's. I didn't need any bling

Comment

I just found this after a little googling and thought I would share:

We're excited to announce a brand new process for 2009 called ChromeShield. This amazing process protects chrome parts from discoloration, even at high temperatures. That's right - it will stop your chrome parts from turning blue! This process is done at our North Carolina facility and is exclusive to JET-HOT.

Not sure if it would really work....

Comment

yea idk about it it probley would turn to crap after a ride but i can get some deals on chroming thow i got my rear grab bar done for 20 they had to dip it in copper before chrome cuz the aluminum so i thought i got a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by bryce warburton View Post
                      yea idk about it it probley would turn to crap after a ride but i can get some deals on chroming thow i got my rear grab bar done for 20 they had to dip it in copper before chrome cuz the aluminum so i thought i got a good deal

Normal show quality chrome process is a "triple" plating process.

Copper is applied and used to smooth things out. Any dings or other minor variations in the surface can be fixed by doing this multiple times and polishing smooth.

Nickel is next to provide the best adhesion and reflective surface for the chrome.

Chromium plating is the last layer.

$20 is not a bad price for someone to do a simple part like that.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                      X