X

Cold Air Intake

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Air Intake

I spend alot of time here and try to search all posts so I don't annoy people with previously asked questions. Just about everything I need or want to know has already been covered. But I cannot find an answer to my newest dilemma.
    I recently set a temp probe at my intake to watch while riding about and saw temps as high as 120 on a 80 degree day. I live in Phoenix area and it gets a little hot in the summer. Has anyone installed a cold air intake on their ride?

without a ram air type setup like most new sportbikes, i dunno that you can get much cooler intake air...

maybe someone else has explored this more...

I would suggest moving to California if you want cooler air running into your engine

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Ice pack ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You'd have to fab up some sort of tube yourself to collect cooler air from the front of the bike. The intake's at the back of the engine where all the hot air tends to go. Maybe something flexible?
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

That's what I thought. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

You could try to run a snorkel with a snowmobile type filter, but I bet it would mess with the pressure, you can try but these are motorcycles not cars.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My old FJ1200 had an aluminum shield between the carbs and the head to block the flow of air / heat to the carbs. It looked like it would be easy to make something like that, it was just a sheet of aluminium with holes cut to fit around the intake manifolds.
              I don't think trying to draw fresh / cooler air from the front of the bike would do much good since you'd have to duct it over the top of the engine to get to the air cleaner opening. That would just heat it up, whereas with the stock setup it gets most of its air from the side fairing vent holes right behind your knees.

Comment

The odd thing is while I was moving the temp would steadily go up. When I stopped and sat idle at a light, it would drop since the hot air was not being pushed into the intake cavity. But as soon as I would start moving it would jump right back up. It doesn't seem to matter what the ambient temp is, as long as I keep moving the intake temp keeps climbing. I am trying to locate a longer temp probe so I can see what the temp is in the rear wheel well. It seems to be an easier place to draw fresh air from than routing it from the front. I guess I will have to set my meter in my lap although it will be hard to see and hold on to.

Comment

I would imagine it's not a matter of drawing the air, but forcing the air. If you want the air to get cooler you need to accelerate it. You can do this by collecting it in a reasonable size scoop and forcing it in to a comparatively smaller space. As the air accelerates the pressure decreases, and as it does so it will cool.

You have a number of issues to contend with though; as someone already mentioned you may have problems with pressure, it's also possible that you will cool the air too much and that when it warms again in the carb it will actually cause condensation, this could give you water where you want only fuel and air.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ckenwright View Post
                    I am trying to locate a longer temp probe so I can see what the temp is in the rear wheel well. It seems to be an easier place to draw fresh air from than routing it from the front.
                    One issue I see here is drawing in copious amounts of water spray while riding in wet conditions. Not good for a dry type filter.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

One of the ideas I have is to utilize the storage area just behind the battery. I could cut a large rectangular hole in the rear fender just below where I have mounted my license plate, block it off and run tubes from there to the intake, much like drawing in air through the fender of a car. I could further limit water and dirt intake by installing a hugger over the tire. I will have to take some pics to illustrate this better and you guys can let me know what you think. It will take me a couple of days to post the pics though. I currently am working alot.

Comment

I can imagine it . Only problems I see would be if you go UNDER the battery box , you'll have the shock to contend with . Then , do you run one around it , or split it . Then , the tube would be kinda long & bendy , so would it flow well enough to get plenty of air . This ain't my specialty , so I'm just kinda thinkin ...

Comment

Not under the battery. Just behind it or rear of it on the bike. I will have to move the electrical on the frame that is right next to the battery in order to bring the hoses over the batt to the airbox. It is the most direct route I can think of. It is hard to explain so I will try to take some pics to show.

Comment

I guess . I mean , all I can see is going under or over the battery to get to the fender ......

Comment

I took some pics but I am unsure how to load them on the site. They are way too big. I will try again tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X