X

Fender Eliminator Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Eliminator Help

Hi all. Please take a look at my bike and give any suggestions possible to get rid of the fender. It's an 89, so a kit at this point, is out of the question. No one has one for a bike this old. I just don't want it to look like crap when I'm done. Thanks!

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

There are a bunch of threads that have decent pics if you search for shovel chop.

What I did was to scribe a line with a pen, then using the cutting wheel on my dremmel, start chopping! I left enough of a tab to mount the license plate and turn signals to, but it was only about an inch worth.

Here are a couple pictures of the final product.

img064.jpg

img065.jpg

I hope this helps, and happy chopping!

-Izzy
      -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
      -My wife

Comment

Izzy, is yours an 89 as well? It looks identical to mine, or at least the back end does. Did you put a different plate light in there, or are you just using the brake/tail light for that?

Comment

when i chopped mine, although it's a post, i just took a hack saw, and starting cutting the plastic. i cut around the license plate, left a small bit of plastic left where the plate mount was attached.

not the best view, but you can see what i did
          2004 Katana
          GO OWLS!!!

Comment

A $3 joist hanger from a hardware store will do the trick. Someone here actually posted it........so maybe there's a thread.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

They have a kit for our bike on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FENDE...Q5fAccessories

I have it on my bike. I actually bought it like a year ago and finally put it on last week. It turned out good. It comes in brushed steel so I painted it black so it wouldn't stick out.
              1997 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Ralls View Post
                They have a kit for our bike on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FENDE...Q5fAccessories

I have it on my bike. I actually bought it like a year ago and finally put it on last week. It turned out good. It comes in brushed steel so I painted it black so it wouldn't stick out.

Wow I think that is a little spendy myself.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Agreed

I agree it could be a little expensive, however it's worth it to me. I don't want to make the modifications myself and potentially mess it up. A lot easier and a lot less hassle. If I had to, I would, but will try this first.

Comment

I can't believe people are paying almost $100 for a fender eliminator kit.

Seriously, go to Lowe's and get two joist hangers. Voila. Less than $10 for a half hour of work.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      I can't believe people are paying almost $100 for a fender eliminator kit.

Seriously, go to Lowe's and get two joist hangers. Voila. Less than $10 for a half hour of work.
                      ........Just one would do the trick. But if someone wants to give me $100 for a hanger....hmmmmm....e-bay here I come
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        ........Just one would do the trick. But if someone wants to give me $100 for a hanger....hmmmmm....e-bay here I come
                        Seriously, I'll start making my own. $3 piece of steel, $4 can of spray paint, can't complain about $90 profit on each piece.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hmmm the Comp Werkes unit comes with new turn signals and looks just a whee bit cleaner than a joist hanger. Worth the money I still don't think so but we are comparing apples & oranges here.

Tmod

Comment

Going to do the do-it-yourself this weekend hopefully
                            R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

^ Same here
                              "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Working...
                              X