X

Thinking over mods for my stock post 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking over mods for my stock post 750

I'd like to make my grey 2005 750 more fun to ride. It runs a little rough when cold and part throttle is spotty. I'm trying to build a bike that is reliable and driveable above all else. I've seen enough small block chevys with 750 double pumpers when I was a mechanic to last a life time.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Ignition advancer (signal trigger, not a Dynatech box)
    Irridium spark plugs
    Stock header clean up
    Ivan's jet kit
    K&N air filter (the one that fits the stock air box)
    Yoshimura RS3 carbon fiber slip-on can (my only nod to style)
    Adjust the valves
    Synch carbs

Am I missing something? Any better alternatives? You guys helped convince me to buy the Katana and I'm glad I did. I hope you can help me get her buffed out now!
    Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
    G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

do the busa front end swap then get bst carbon fiber wheel for the busa. then swap out your swinger for a sick ducati single sided one or a late model gsxr swinger to make room for the 5.5 bst carbon fiber wheels. then throw a 1127/b12 motor in it with the FI mod. swap for HID head lights before you fender chop it. give it some nice lookin graffics n blinkers then call it done! .... um alil too much?
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

I'm disappointed you forgot to recommend an ion drive and a plasma rifle

I forgot to mention better lighting. I'm clueless about upgrading that...
      Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.

sigpic

Comment

well there is a write up around here some where about HID headlights...

actually all of those mod mentioned there are possible...lol
        Last edited by il_ragazzo; 04-04-2009, 01:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

i prob wouldnt go with the k&n filter, they're not to friendly around here...jus wait for it...you'll kno....you'll kno....lol

Comment

Dammit. I wanted to be the first to say something about K&N. All your other mods seem great. Get a shift kit off The Cyberpoet.

Comment

see i toooooooooold yooooooooou!

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaKat View Post
                I forgot to mention better lighting. I'm clueless about upgrading that...
                KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here's what I'm thinking:

Ignition advancer (signal trigger, not a Dynatech box)
                  Irridium spark plugs
                  Stock header clean up
                  Ivan's jet kit
                  K&N air filter (the one that fits the stock air box)
                  Yoshimura RS3 carbon fiber slip-on can (my only nod to style)
                  Adjust the valves
                  Synch carbs
                  All that sounds good, except the K&N. The stock air filter breathes enough for Ivan's kit. Also, adjusting valves and sync'ing carbs aren't really mods... do 'em every 7,500 miles as maintenance ^_^
                  "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I see all the engine mods but what about suspension and braking? Oh yeah forget the K&N idea (Bad idea)

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Robgsxf750 View Post
                      Dammit. I wanted to be the first to say something about K&N. All your other mods seem great. Get a shift kit off The Cyberpoet.
                      Seconded. I had the oil pan off and figured I'd drop in that shift kit spring, shifting is a night and day difference.

I can't see any faults with the list you have posted, other than the K&N. If you are still wanting to put a K&N in after reading this thread : http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9381

then lots of luck to you and your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        I see all the engine mods but what about suspension and braking?

Should be the first place to upgrade. I've had my bike over a year and STILL don't have the suspension set up correctly, close but not quite.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I thought it was just the pod type k&n's that were bad but after reading the tear down of the 2 stroke I'll pass.

As far as brakes good they seem pretty strong, I might try some better pads and lines. The only complaint I have is they feel a bit spongy up front.

The suspension seems pretty good to me. I've dialed it in where it suits me. Could be better but for this year it's good enough. I think I'll spend the money on better tires first and then upgrade the suspension next year.

Like I said, I'm not trying to get gobs more power out of it - just really good driveability.

I know the valves and synch are maint. stuff, I just wanted to make sure I did all this in some kind of logical order

sigpic

Comment

As far as brakes good they seem pretty strong, I might try some better pads and lines. The only complaint I have is they feel a bit spongy up front.
                            Try some new fluid (should be changed every couple years anyway ) and HH pads . Makes a HUGE difference . But be careful your first time out before grabbing a fistful o' brakes , as what was once needed on a stock Kat WILL cause you to lock up or stoppie after these upgrades .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

HH Pads are a definite. Only problem they gave anyone was wearing you bike as a backwards hat (stoppie) or in other words, the do STOP so 2 fingers on the lever is all you need, no more fistfuls of brake lever .... a definite upgrade for any one that is the slightest performance minded and on a budget. :
                              Currently Riding:
                              1995 Katana 600
                              V&H Exhaust
                              Jet Kit

SOLD
                              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                              1987 XV700 Bobber
                              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Working...
                              X