X

So you want to polish your rims...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to polish your rims...

It looks great, it's cheap, and you don't have to have any kind of technical knowledge to do it. But whats the upkeep like? If you're like me, you spend more time riding your bike than looking at it / working on it. But for God's sake KEEP YOUR POLISHED WHEELS CLEAN! Mine got gross, and I figured I would clean them today, didn't get NEARLY as much done as I thought I could.

Attempt 1 - Aircraft stripper and steel wool like I used to strip and polish the first time. Utter failure.

Attempt 2 - Leave stripper on for 45 minutes, go mow the lawn, come back and rub the hell out of it. Got some dirt off, but that was it.

Attempt 3 - 400 grit sandpaper and a bucket of water. Getting somewhere, but still taking FOREVER.

Attempt 4 - 100 grit sandpaper and a spray bottle of water, got it.

If you're going to take the time to polish your wheels, do yourself a favor and get them clearcoated. Or, get some power tools so you're not doing it all by hand (lucky me). Make sure you realize that if you don't get them clearcoated, they are gonna be a pain in your *** to keep looking nice, even though I think it's worth the time.

My station:

This is what your wheels will look like eventually:

This is after four hours cleaning them up by hand:

Tips for keeping your polished aluminum wheels clean:

1.) HOT water and soap after every ride.
    2.) If the wheels get wet, make sure they are dry when you park the bike. Water sitting in the lips is a quick way to get in trouble.
    3.) Get some GOOD (read: Meguiar's) aluminum polish and make it a point to polish your wheels up pretty often. You want them to look good everytime you ride right?
    4.) Finally, I am by no means an expert, but with the polished look I say you get out of it what you give. I'm willing to put in the hours scrubbing and washing, if you're not...then you might not want to polish them, because they look like absolute **** when they're dirty.

Anyone else got any suggestions to add? I feel like no one ever let me know about the maintenance and figured I'd do a little write up while I'm slaving in the driveway
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

paste wax after polishing helps a bit too for getting crud off the next time

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

As long as it's a labour of love....you're all set. Great-looking bike!
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

2.) If the wheels get wet, make sure they are dry when you park the bike. Water sitting in the lips is a quick way to get in trouble.
        quick question... so are you saying that if you let residual water just sit on them then you're going to have corrosion issues?

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
          quick question... so are you saying that if you let residual water just sit on them then you're going to have corrosion issues?
          Pretty serious issues actually, the longer the water is on them. Pitting will occur for longer periods if not cleaned.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Maybe you should look into cleaning up your exhaust before you start your wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Pretty serious issues actually, the longer the water is on them. Pitting will occur for longer periods if not cleaned.

Krey
              even with a pretty thick coat of clear??

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
              "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
                even with a pretty thick coat of clear??
                Water is not standing on the aluminum then, which is the issue mentioned. Using clear coat over polished aluminum is the suggested method to prevent the need for constant polishing and water removal. So no, not even with clear.

Even with clear, brake dust etc... should be washed off fairly often, it's just not nearly as intensive an upkeep. Keep in mind areas where the clear is scratched or flaked off will quickly become problematic if not re-covered.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                  Maybe you should look into cleaning up your exhaust before you start your wheels
                  God...don't even get me started... I have a plan for the can as well...stay tuned.

And yes, letting water sit on the bare aluminum is very very VERY harsh on them. My front rim has some deeep pitting that's gonna take a while to fix up.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I really don't know what all the hub bub is all about. I stripped off the lips as well and the only maintainence I need is maybe 5-10 minutes per wheel per month. I use Mothers aluminum polish on a microfiber rag. I've thought about buying a Mothers ball but haven't yet because the microfiber seems to get it done in a relative flash...
                    It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by DayKat View Post
                      I really don't know what all the hub bub is all about. I stripped off the lips as well and the only maintainence I need is maybe 5-10 minutes per wheel per month. I use Mothers aluminum polish on a microfiber rag. I've thought about buying a Mothers ball but haven't yet because the microfiber seems to get it done in a relative flash...

This is what happens if you don't spend the time keeping them clean. How many miles do you ride a week?

Comment

Originally posted by DayKat View Post

How often does it get wet?
                        Do you ride in the rain any or fair weather only?
                        Parked outside in the weather or inside/always fully covered?

And also curious how many miles avg per month?

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

I just oil the crap out of my chain and let the excess go all over the wheel. No corrosion problems then! Seriously tho, I have polished lips and just hit them occasionally with some wheel cleaner, then polish. I've never had mine get as bad as yours were tho.
                          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Sorry bro but ..
                            a bit of TLC and a wash once a week and it will never look like that and your rims wont corrode.

FWIW my forks lowers, air filter cover, caliper, triple trees, risers, controls etc on my VT600 are all raw polished aluminum. they have never been repolished or even waxed afterwork in the last 5 years. Just washed weekly. They don't look anything like your bike

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              Sorry bro but ..
                              a bit of TLC and a wash once a week and it will never look like that and your rims wont corrode.
                              Well, um... yeah. I'm pretty sure that's what has been said. Clean them once a week, OR they will corrode.....

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X