X

What jets do I have?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What jets do I have?

Is there an easy way to tell how your carbs are jetted? I just picked up a 1993 Katana 600 as my first bike. The previous owner put on K&N filters and a Vance & Hines SSR2 exhaust. I would like to take off the K&N and replace it with a stock airbox and air filter. However I'm not sure if the carbs are jetted to compensate for the exhaust/intake? If so will the stock filter/intake box cause an issue? I don't really want to get into jetting carbs just yet since the bike is currently running.
    1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

Can't hurt. It will probably run better. You are not going to know the jetting until you take the carb's apart or just ask the previous owner what he did to it.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
      Can't hurt. It will probably run better. You are not going to know the jetting until you take the carb's apart or just ask the previous owner what he did to it.
      +1 to all of this. However, unless the previous owner was decently knowledagable about motorcycles, I bet the jetting is still stock. If it IS still stock, then putting the stock airbox and filter back on should have the bike running a lot better.

EDIT: K&N filters and a full exhaust, that bad boy definitely SHOULD be jetted.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Here is an idea of what the p.o. of my bike did. Yoshi exhaust. Uni filter.
        Main fuel jets, 2 were 105's and 2 were 102's. Why in the world would you make the bike leaner than it already is after doing the changes? Go talk to the P.O.

Comment

I will probably try the stock box and filter. I doubt the previous owner knows much. He didn't seem like the maintenance type and said he had gotten the bike from a friend a year ago.
          1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

Comment

Pop the top of the carbs and see if your needles are stock?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
            X