X

Repacking an exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repacking an exhaust

How do you know when/if an exhaust needs repacked? Is it hard to do? I recently bought a used exhaust and was wondering if this was something I should consider.

i don't know that you ever really need to, but it really depends on which kind of can it is to determine how to do it. I know with my old Vance and Hines cans, I had to drill out the old rivets at one end in order to get the cap off. Once the cap is off, just pull out the old crap and pack in the new (preferably wrapped around the inner mesh cylinder).
    -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Here's a thread showing how to repack a Yoshimura RS-3.
      Should give you an idea.

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
      From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
      Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Comment

I've read that it's every year or 2 they need it . It ain't all THAT hard to do , or costly . I just did mine a few weeks ago , in fact .

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

What effect is it supposed to have? Just makes it sound better or does it make it run better too? I've been able to find help on how to do it, but not what the benefit would be.

Comment

It may muffle the sound a bit better, but making it run better or "sound better"... i doubt it :/
            -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Once a year or every 5000miles

The packing does two things
              #1 restores HP. by insulating the pipe and keeping the gasses inside the baffle you actually speed up the air flow for better flow
              #2 sound waves are absorbed and it will deepen and dull the noise a bit.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah ,mine's running different .I had been tweaking the jetting a bit ago , and now the new packing , I think I have to twiddle a bit more . So it DOES effect performance if it needs to be done .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X