X

How to: Post exhaust on Pre, Everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Post exhaust on Pre, Everything

Well when I decided to put a new exhaust setup on my Pre I did a little research and all I could find was that you could put a post setup on two ways.

1) Dent post collector on header
    2) Put Post oil pan and pickup on.

I'm going to do a short walk through of the second way.

Here is what I got:
    98+ oil pan (#1)
    98+ oil pickup (#11 & 13)
    Oil pan gasket (#2)
    Oil pickup gaskets (#14)

From what I read the oil pan bolts would work, but from what I found they wont. Here are the stock ones laid out and the two that wont work. You will need two more of the short ones (upper left). The two you need are M6-25 1.00 pitch.

Here is everything of mine laid out. Thought I'd need 3 new bolts for the pickup, but the ones off my pickup worked.

1) Take off oil cooler lines, stock oil pan and then pickup screen.

2) Take off the stock screen with the 3 bolts (save for later). Then you will then need to take off the two pickup bolts marked in this picture (save for later)

3) Put together new pickup by using stock bolts

4) Take pickup, new gasket, and stock bolts and put it on.

5) Check to make sure you have this piece still mounted up.

6) Get the 98+ oil pan ready to mount up by cleaning off any old gasket. Then install it and reconnect oil cooler lines. (don't pay attention to these bolts)

For the header you will need to get new bolts, they are M8-25 1.25 pitch. The Pre bolts are too long for the Post header. So you need:

98+ Header
    M8-25 1.25 pitch - Need 8
    New exhaust gaskets - Need 4

This is pretty easy, just put on your new header gaskets and bolt up your header.

I hope this helps someone in the future. If anyone has a picture of a stock pan and then one of just the stock pickup installed I will put those in, just pm me them. I didn't get those pictures for some reason. I will also add to this when I get my Scorpion on.
    Last edited by sporty_drew; 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM.

Huh , I think your bike's underside may be even dirtier than MINE ......
    Nice work , dude . Glad to see you remembered that o-ring/washer deal . That guy likes to jump off and hide , and is REALLY easy to overlook .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Lol, yeah I don't think the previous owner did anything to it while owning it. Thanks, I hope it helps others.

Comment

Very nice, I may be doing just this in the near future. Would love to see another picture showing how the header runs under the bike with the new pan.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nice.This should be a sticky
          1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

Real good write up. Should make the job real easy for anyone doing the same.
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Very nice, I may be doing just this in the near future. Would love to see another picture showing how the header runs under the bike with the new pan.

Krey
              I'll get you one of that tomorrow when I get to work on my bike.

Comment

So how does the post header get along with the pre lower fairing? My brother in law put an '02 engine in his '92 kat and the header melted into the lower fairing. Small sacrifice for a decent exhaust but still curious.
                '93 KAT 600 Stage III
                --------------------
                "There are 3 types of people: the smart, and the stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Cthom574 View Post
                  So how does the post header get along with the pre lower fairing? My brother in law put an '02 engine in his '92 kat and the header melted into the lower fairing. Small sacrifice for a decent exhaust but still curious.
                  I have only held mine up, but it hits.This picture is of the lowers I bought used for my bike and as you can tell the right lower has been trimmed from the previous owner to clear a post exhaust. It is not very noticeable and I think it's worth it. I'll post up a better picture of that too.

Comment

Yeah , that part kinda gets in the way of an aftermarket pipe for the pre anyway . I just kinda bend it out of the way . : lol:
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I heated mine up and bent it out of the way as well. Almost looks like its supposed to be that way.
                      Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                        Here is the best I could get.

Originally posted by Cthom574 View Post
                        I held up my cut lower just to give an idea of what could be done. I'll try to get a picture parallel to the pipe to show the gap.

I got my scorpion on. It fits good and I was able to bolt the muffler bracket right up to my Pre. Here is some shots of it all installed. I did flip my rear axle around a week or so ago to help clear the muffler.

Last edited by sporty_drew; 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sweet, thanks much.

I believe I'll be doing this mod for my under engine exhaust mod coming soon.

Thanks!

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You don't need to mess with the belly fairing at all...it will "clearance" itself the first time you crank the bike up with the 98+ header and let it run.

It ends up looking like it was made that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                              You don't need to mess with the belly fairing at all...it will "clearance" itself the first time you crank the bike up with the 98+ header and let it run.

It ends up looking like it was made that way.
                              My bike isn't going to be startred before paint so I don't want to mess up a new paint job by trying it with my luck. I think having it cut will look good once it's all done.

Comment

Working...
                              X