X

D & D Pipe Repacking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D & D Pipe Repacking

For those who have an older D & D can and you don't like the loud sound. I bought a used older D & D carbon fiber can for my 750 Kat. It was just to loud especially at the higher RPM range of 7-11K RPM's. So I called D & D in Texas and they told me that they had a repacking kit which would lessen the noise. Hence I ordered it ( approx 55 bucks ) and installed the new packing. The new packing has like a mesh (steel wool ?) which you used first and then the original packing material (new of course) goes around the mesh. Tried the pipe out this weekend. I am very impressed with how it turned out. The bike has a quieter sound. Still rumbles (less than before) from idle to about 4700 RPM's. After that the pipe quiets down and just has a higher pitched scream that is totally tolerable. If you have a newer D & D pipe you will already have the quieter packing so this mood is not for you. This info is for those of us that have a D & D pipe that is 2-3 yrs old and older.
    Hope that helps, enjoy. Any questions pm me.
    Last edited by Glimas; 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification

I repacked my D&D with the same kit from them last week. I love the new sound of the pipe! I made a video that I will post on here tomorrow of how it sounds, but overall I am very pleased. For anyone that is interested D&D sells two packing types "race" (which is installed in all their pipes new) or "Street/quiet" (which is more expensive due to the steel wool packing. It gives a wayyyy better tone to the D&D. The only problem is the repacking itself which took my over 5hours of beating on my pipe just to remove the solid core baffle. Video to come!
    "There are two types of riders...old riders and crazy riders, but there are no old crazy riders." - Danny

Comment

wow, that is just what I have been needing to hear. I am very interested in getting a repacking kit. I have a 97 Zx6R with D&D and all of the padding has come out. You can imagine how loud it is.. I can not stand it anymore.

My main question is what about the metal cylinder that the packing goes around? That was also removed and now I do not know how to put the padding in properly. Where can I get a new cylinder, or am I going to have to buy a entire new exhaust pipe?

Thanks..
      Last edited by Excaliber350; 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

How exactly do you install this? Do you have to drill out the rivets or what? Do they address this (instructions) with the repack kit?

Comment

I had a full D&D system on mine and hated it because it was so loud. I just bought a scorpion slip on to replace the can with and the results were great! As for the old D&D can.... It became the muffler on my buddies tractor. It worked out perfect becaust the way the end of it was angled, it blew the smoke over his head instead of in his face like the old one did.
          94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

Working...
          X