X

Installed Bandit 1200 header on 98+ 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Bandit 1200 header on 98+ 600

I purchased a Bandit 1200 header from arsenic (which is a great seller and for a good price.) I got to install it. And take alot of pics and measurment for every question yall could ask.

Test drive without grinding welds. It seem like a mild improvement on the high rpms. Low and mid rpm seemed good or the same. I like it, but I didn't cut any of the body panel at first my tool were at work. But it fitted and I rode it that way.

Today I rode the bike to work. I removed the header, grinded the weld, and polished it smooth. Polish the outside of the header too so nice and clean. Looks alot better now. Also cut the lower cowl for the header. Not too much cut. But need to be done but sure.

Test drive with grinded exhaust weld. This is biggest difference out of all my mod was removing the welds. Before the low and mid was the same. Now I can tell that big header is on it. Not bad but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone (Well,with the exhaust weld left alone it isn't bad through). Up to around 4,000rpm it not as powerful. BUT after 4,000 she start to pick up and around 6,000rpm is where Im getting my money's worth, she screams all the way to red line. Really Nice improvement in the top with the exhaust welds grinded. I wanted a larger header becuz I plan on installing GSXR cams soon and needed something to let it out.

EDIT: 2008 July 10 I converted the inch measurment to mm:
    The B12 header I.D. is 28.9mm
    The Kat 600 header I.D. is 26.03mm (theses are my measurement I took. The measurement werre taken about 1 1/2inches into the exhaust inlet of the header with a telescoping gage and a digital caliper.)

On the Exhaust exchange thread it is posted the Kat 600 is 23mm the Kat 750 is 26mm so I don't know why there measurement are smaller then mine. But I know mine is correct.

Something I noticed maybe someone can tell me if this is good or bad. The B12 header was a h-pipe between 1-4 and 2-3 where the OEM 600 has only a h-pipe between 2-3?

Not sure why the big difference in I.D and O.D. Maybe thick metal or double wall. IDK. But the I.D I measured about 1inch in the pipe with a telescoping gage and a digital caliper (measurement are with welds grinded). And the O.D just the Digital caliper.

Below the I.D of the 1200cc header is bigger then the O.D of the 600cc header.

600cc Header weighs approx. 7.6lbs

The 1200cc Header weight approx 12.6lbs (5 lbs increase over OEM)

My Yoshi Slip-on weighs approx. 8lbs.(IDK where the dent came from it brought it for $50 used so I don't complain)

What happens when you lower your bike Front 1.5" and Rear 2''.

Before I polished the pipes but still the big pipes look so much better.

The other side before polishing , see the anti-seize on my caliper LOL
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-10-2008, 10:13 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Edit July 09, 2008. The Finally Product. Here she is.

A close up of the header yesterday after washing the bike.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-09-2008, 06:09 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

that's great to hear... opens up the possibilities... and great thread as well, pictures are great and really help to illustrate the differences!
      -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Originally posted by shadowhunter04 View Post
        that's great to hear... opens up the possibilities... and great thread as well, pictures are great and really help to illustrate the differences!
        Thats what Im shooting for. Cuz I looked up this topic and its not detailed in the search. So I want to post every anwser that I had a question that I couldn't find.
        sigpic
        Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

The Bandit headers are sleeved. The insides of those pipes look similar to the stock hat header, with a SS sleeve over top.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Can we answer if the bandit 1200 exhaust will fit a pre-98 600 kat? Given that you get/have the 98+ oil pan and pickup...
            -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Yes it will fit, but you'll have a back pressure problem most likely.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                Yes it will fit, but you'll have a back pressure problem most likely.
                What really the problem between my post 600 and my pre 600? Or are you saying both. Becuz with the low and mid rpms was ok with the exhaust not grinded. Now its not bad still with the welds grinded just have to downshift more often.
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

What's the question again? You are flowing much more air than you were before.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

What's the question again? You are flowing much more air than you were before.
                    Im tracking on that. No you said backpressure problems on his bike?
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                      Im tracking on that. No you said backpressure problems on his bike?

Installing a larger diameter header, means you've decreased the back pressure. So potential to run lean I think.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Installing a larger diameter header, means you've decreased the back pressure. So potential to run lean I think.
                        OOO yeah 100% agree. A jet kit is a must. Plus overall plan is too put GSXR Cams in my case. So it will work great for that setup.
                        sigpic
                        Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Added some new pics of the pipes polished still not the greatest. The bike is still wet from washing it. I will wax it tonight and post some good pics tommarrow.
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

dude, that's great

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              dude, that's great
                              Hey thanks too you. Finding me and telling me you had a B12 header. Hey what year did that come off of, if you know?
                              sigpic
                              Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X